Never thought this would happen!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
For years I have drooled over this anvil belonging to Jim Clow...... today he posted it for sale on Facebook, and it took me all of 10 seconds to jump on it!

508 pounds of Peter Wright goodness, in outstanding condition. I've worked on it many times in Jim's shop, and it is SAAAWWWWEEEETTTT!! :)

Now to figure out the logistics of getting it from Jim's place in AB, Canada, to my shop in Montana...... and getting it into my shop. Looks like another forklift rental in Ed's near future! :)

35521300_2295568027136416_6551661276458647552_n.jpg

35540845_2295568377136381_8008239953894965248_n.jpg

Matt: I'd considered selling the #300 Trenton, but it has so much history and such a great story, I doubt I'd ever part with it. :) The Trenton was delivered to Pearl Harbor in 1929, and stayed there until I obtained it in 1994. Some know the story of how it got from Pearl Harbor to Great Falls, MT....... :)

That's why it took me so long to decide (like 10 seconds) :) We were at my kids house having Father's Day dinner when I saw it..... I think Cindy (my Mrs.) saw me drooling and she said "you'll never get this chance again." It didn't take too much of a push for me to jump! :)

very Nice! Ed...for us non forgers can you tell the history of your new anvil...and will it "feel" different from your pearl harbor anvil?

For years I have drooled over this anvil belonging to Jim Clow...... today he posted it for sale on Facebook, and it took me all of 10 seconds to jump on it!

508 pounds of Peter Wright goodness, in outstanding condition. I've worked on it many times in Jim's shop, and it is SAAAWWWWEEEETTTT!! :)

Now to figure out the logistics of getting it from Jim's place in AB, Canada, to my shop in Montana...... and getting it into my shop. Looks like another forklift rental in Ed's near future! :)

35521300_2295568027136416_6551661276458647552_n.jpg

35540845_2295568377136381_8008239953894965248_n.jpg
Wowzie! A Peter Wright! Congrats, Ed.

Matt: I'd considered selling the #300 Trenton, but it has so much history and such a great story, I doubt I'd ever part with it. :) The Trenton was delivered to Pearl Harbor in 1929, and stayed there until I obtained it in 1994. Some know the story of how it got from Pearl Harbor to Great Falls, MT.......:)

I remember you telling me the story behind the Trenton and it's a great one!

Ed...for us non forgers can you tell the history of your new anvil...and will it "feel" different from your pearl harbor anvil?

I don't have the full history on the "new" anvil yet.... but I will make Jim tells me the whole story. :) I know the first time I used it in his shop.... I fell in love. The overall "feel" when using it is very similar to my #300 Trenton, but because of the added size/mass/weight, it "rebounds" more of the energy you apply with the hammer into the work piece..... in short, you can get more work accomplished with less effort..... and as I get older, I'm all about that! For those who might not be aware, when it comes to quality anvils..... the old saying of "bigger is better" is really true.

The very first time I used it at Jim's shop, I told him that if he ever decided to get rid of it..... I wanted it. Of course that brought a smirk, and a look like "Not happening!" at the time, and honestly I didn't think Jim would ever let it go. I have to admit that when I saw what he was asking for it, I hesitated..... but my wonderful Mrs. (Cindy) made the comment I mentioned above (You'll never get this chance again), followed by.... "It's only money"...... I was out of excuses.

To be totally honest about it, I've only ever seen ONE Peter Wright anvil larger than this one (and it was in very poor condition, located in England, and it was not for sale) the fact that this one is the size/weight it is, coupled with the outstanding condition....... I'd have likely taken a second mortgage out on the house to get it if necessary. Jim is the person that I purchased Orange Crush (my 80 ton forging press) from several years ago..... I balked a bit at the cost of it then too.....but within a year of installing it in the shop, it had already paid for itself. I anticipate that this anvil will be the same..... it will pay for itself in increased production, and quality of work.

For those who don't know the story behind my #300 Trenton. It was delivered (brand new) to Pearl Harbor in 1929, and during a TDY there in 1994, I spotted it laying on it's side in a junk pile in the Civil Engineering compound. After frantically running around, trying to find whom was in charge of that junk pile, I was directed to a civilian worker who told me "The junk man will be here tomorrow to scrap it". :eek: After some fast talking, he told me.... "Heck, if you can move it, you can have it.". I went and found three of the biggest guys who worked for me, we loaded it into an old Air Force panel van, and that night, drove it to the runway, where we were heading for home on a KC-135 tanker. I found the Aircraft Commander and told him what I had/needed to take home. He said "If you can get it up the ladder, and into the plane, we'll take it." Four at the top pulling on a chain, and two climbing the ladder pushing it upward, we got it aboard..... they laid out two 1/2 sheets of 3/4" plywood on the plane floor, we sat the anvil in the middle, strapped it down from 4 directions, and I literally rode the anvil home....from Hawaii to Montana. We arrived approx. 4:30am, and I called my Mrs., telling here to "bring the old ford truck". Her sleepy reply was "What did you do now?" :) I can still see her driving around the a building to meet me, and when she saw what I had, she was just shaking her head. On the way home she exclaimed..... "Everybody else who goes to Hawaii brings home pineapples......but not you...... you had to bring home an anvil!" That's been 20+ years ago, and we still talk about it to this day. That's the kind of memories you just can't buy! :)

Excellent story Ed...way to persist! That new anvil looks like a whopper...anything that cuts work effort as we age is worth it's weight in gold! Does this mean you can use smaller hammers...LOL?

Great stories is what makes it worth crackin open a beer and the pork rinds! I love the Pearl Harbor story. Makes me think of all that I once had my hands on while in Uncle Sams Army! Hmmm just couldn't see at the time what I would do with a 10K generator!! LOL

Ain't it funny only a knife maker would get excited about a huge hunk of steel and talk about it like it had a soul!!! :p Only cause it does!! :rolleyes:

Thinking back at all the waste I saw during my military career makes me cringe! Dumpster diving was a big thing then.....every August (military fiscal year always starts Sept 1st), we would find all manner of BRAND NEW things, from aircraft parts, to entire rolling tool boxes full of NEW snap-on tools in dumpsters. It was there, just so organizations could request more money in their budgets. I always found it crazy that most of us are taught to live within our means, and on a budget....... but that means something totally different with government...... in my later years in the military, I once had one of my superiors call me and say "Ed, I need you to spend as much money as you can within the next 6 hours!" I thought for a moment, and checked my list of allowable assets...... within 3 hours I had spent $375,000+ on skid steer loaders, and ever imaginable attachment. My "boss" labeled me a hero, because it allowed him to request an additional $1/2M on the next budget. Honestly, I just never got it...... but that was just "the way of things".

Thinking back at all the waste I saw during my military career makes me cringe! Dumpster diving was a big thing then.....every August (military fiscal year always starts Sept 1st), we would find all manner of BRAND NEW things, from aircraft parts, to entire rolling tool boxes full of NEW snap-on tools in dumpsters. It was there, just so organizations could request more money in their budgets. I always found it crazy that most of us are taught to live within our means, and on a budget....... but that means something totally different with government...... in my later years in the military, I once had one of my superiors call me and say "Ed, I need you to spend as much money as you can within the next 6 hours!" I thought for a moment, and checked my list of allowable assets...... within 3 hours I had spent $375,000+ on skid steer loaders, and ever imaginable attachment. My "boss" labeled me a hero, because it allowed him to request an additional $1/2M on the next budget. Honestly, I just never got it...... but that was just "the way of things".
I had the same experience in the Army. I was stationed at the US Army Ordnance School in MD. We were ordered to scrap all kinds of things in order to get a higher budget, as you say. I took what I wanted home. Lots of brand new stuff.

Great story on the anvil save from the scrap heap so if you add the cost (nothing) to the cost of the new anvil I think you will find it is a very good deal indeed

Ed, when I was in the Army, once a year we got lobster and steak at the mess hall, so they could get an increase in the next years budget. The really sorry thing about it the steak was as tough as shoe soles and the lobster had been cooked to the point it would bounce, and absolutely no taste. They cook everything in those 50 gal. pots and use boat oars to stir it! I tried to convince the cook to let me cook my own steak and lobster but to no avail!!

Back