Needle Files

Randy Lucius

Starting to work with hidden tang knives and guards. I need a quality set of needle files. I have a couple of cheap sets that are almost useless. Anybody have any recommendations on a good set and where to purchase. Thanks!!!!

I personally don't find needle files remotely necessary for hidden tangs with guards.

A standard 6" pillar file is the only file I ever use for guard slots.

No files are necessary for handle blocks. Just drill bits and a hand broach will get you there just fine.

https://www.riogrande.com/searchresults#q=needle files&t=products&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=36

https://www.amazon.com/Grobet-Swiss...rds=grobet+needle+files&qid=1571319221&sr=8-6

Both of the above are NOT CHEAP, but they are GOOD quality needle files.

If you're working on hidden tang guards..... look for 4" mill bastard files (sometime you can find them at Home Depot)......they are about the correct size for filing slots in hidden tang guards. Needle file are not necessary for the associated tasks. If you don't have a mill, I am assuming you will be drilling multiple holes, then filing them out..... for that you will need a round needle file.
Something to think about when building hidden tang blades....the thickness and the taper of the tang. If you can leave your blades near 1/4" thick at the middle of the ricasso, and taper the tang rearward from there..... it will make your task of a gap free fit on a hidden tang far easier. The steeper the taper, the easier it is to get a gap free fit. The other part of the equation is how you cut the slot in your guard material...... DO NOT cut it "square".....cut a tapered slot..... narrow opening to the front....and wider opening to the back....you do this by filing the taper into the slot. The video I reference below shows how.
Tim has a video available on KnifeMakerTraining about how to build "Seamless Knife Guards". (I'd love to give you the video...but the rights belong to Tim).

Last edited:
I make smaller files out of larger files. The needle files I have used I find are 2 fragile and bendy if you get what I mean. I have never used the riogrande 1's that a lot of people like.

I just finished my guard with cheap files. It was hell. I need to look at the advice above. I ended up using a dremel with a cutting type bit too.

I make smaller files out of larger files. The needle files I have used I find are 2 fragile and bendy if you get what I mean. I have never used the riogrande 1's that a lot of people like.
[/QUOTE

Jason, do you soften the metal file first before cutting and harden again ?

@Retroguy Na That's to much work for me. I just grind with a 36grit belt and keep it cool with a bucket of water. I clean it up with 220grit and I'm done. Real simple and real quick.

Back