Need to spend $1000

Tune_up

Here’s the deal, I am building a barn/tool shed and I have allotted myself a 16’x20’ space in the corner for a workshop. This is a hobby for me and I have put off spending the money because I know I will never cover the cost. But, I got to thinking and I have spent more money with less thought and used the item less (think bass boat, ATV, $800-1200 for a rifle then $400-800 for a scope, ect). Anyway, enough justification, back to the subject. I have decided to purchase a KMG grinder (variable speed, 2 hp) and have about $1000 left for other purchases. I currently have a 3x36” belt/6” disc sander, 1x30 belt sander, a Dewalt portaband and a cheap drill press. Other things I want/think I need are:
Kiln, probably Sugar Creek
9” disc sander
KMG accessories, small wheel attachment, tooling arms, rotary platen, ect
Upgrade drill press
Band saw, (I do woodworking too)
Upgrade KMG to 3hp
Horizontal grinder
Dust collector (boring…! But probably more important than most of the above toys).
Mini-mill
1911, I know it’s not knife related but I might need to protect my shop…
Some of these can be combined, upgraded or might have to wait until I have additional funds. Since I have been doing this without any of these tools, except the drill press, I am not sure what will be the most useful. Right now the kiln and disc sander are at the top of my list but what would you do?

I suggest the kiln. I have doen without other things but the kiln has made my life much easier. I used to send them off but it soon gets expensive if you are doing one knife here and there as well as time consuming waiting for shipping and HT time.

Kiln, hands down.
Untill I got the kiln, I was doing HT in my forge and restricted to carbon steels. The kiln opened the door to stainless steels and allowed me to do other things with my time while it does it's thing. I figured if I'm going to step up my game making knives, accurate HT is the crux of the biscuit.

Rudy

Man got to agree with the guys on this kiln to me is huge right there with the grinder. then toys like mini mill 9/12 inch disk sander well you got the ideal. good luck and just have fun with it larry (mya knives)

Do I get a second vote? It starts the same. A good full face mask is a few hundred bucks, but it doesn't fog up and it should prevent you from dying from a horrible debilitating lung disease like so many knifemakers do.

The 1911 just takes me back a lot of years - maybe 35 or so - and I can still feel the slide snapping shut and see that nice "D" shape the sight tracks as it comes around for the next squeeze. All my memory sees is the front sight for some reason. (Like I said, ~35 years)

The kiln is clearly really high on the list, but you really should be prepared to add a rockwell tester to that, because without it, you are just relying on how it "should" turn out. You'd be amazed how often it doesn't. Other items like quench plates - a quench tank and oil - foil - blade racks - tongs.... it isn't as simple as it sounds if you want to do it right. (and isn't that why you want to do it in the first place?)

Maybe if that 1911 was a Gold Cup, you could win the nationals and put the prize money to all the other stuff. :3:

Rob!

If you haven't ordered the KMG yet I would look at the Grinders that can go from Vertical to Horizonal.
The TW-90 , Wilmont here on KnifeDogs. and the Burr King. Why spend all the extra for two grinders and attachments, wheels etc?

If you are a Hobbyist maker a 2HP Variable is more than enough.
Most knives have been made on a 1 1/2HP motor for the last 20 plus years and I am a full time maker and the 1 1/2 meets my needs. When I buy grinder motors in the future, They will be 2HP.

I concur with Rob that if you truly want to do your own heat treating you will need much more than just the oven. I use almost all Stainless Steels and send them to Paul Bos/Buck Knives for heat treating.

I don't know where guys come up with all this stuff about how much less it costs to get your own oven and all the rest? A RC Hardness tester alone is $1500.00 plus used.

I batch my blades at 20-40 per lot and last time It came to around $7.00 a piece with shipping and I make large culinary knives.

Even at 10 blades it will be no more than $125.00 or so? 12-$13.00 each is fine for professionally treated and Cryo plus RC TESTED three times during their process.
I fine three little RC tester marks on my blades.

A 9" Variable Disc sander would be a great addition. A Grizzly 14" bandsaw is important if you are going to cut your own woods?

I use the 3M half face mask with 0.5 micron rated filters. about 40 bucks. I wear safety glasses and put a face shield over it. about 20-35 bucks for a nice one. I have four cheapo Harbor Freight wet/dry vacuums, One at each grinder and the band saw to get the majority of the dust & Chunks.

The one important tool no one has mentioned is a Metal Cutting Band Saw!
The Harbor Freight 64 1/2" has served me for 14 years now. Then get a USA Lennox or Starett 14 TPI Bimetal bandsaw blade for it.
About $330.00 total.

So keep us posted and have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com.

Back