Need some imput

Frank Aguirre

This is a pm from a guy I just sold the 7th knife too! He is a great guy and a bonified knife nut too.

How about a two knife set, a skinner type blade and the other a drop point maybe ( or whatever style you think )? I'll let you choose the steel, whatever you think will hold the best edge and not be real hard to sharpen. Matter of fact how about this? You make a two knife set anyway you want. Make it like you'd make for yourself, that way I know it'll be great to use. Like to keep the set at 400 or less. Let me know, if there's some super steel or something that you'd like to use that would be a little more costly let me know. I'm crazy about every knife I've gotten from you so just have fun with it and make it like you're making it for you.
Thanks as always,

I am thinking about using A2 or cpm154cm or maybe D2 or maybe 1084 or ....... He has damascus, o1, ats34, 1084 and a2 knives I have sold to him. He goes on hunting trips with other hunters and he is usually the guy who has the knives for skinning the game harvested. I exited on getting this order. It is the biggest commision I have ever had. I am actually kind of nervouse on the blade styles and steels. So lets hear some suggestions, I am all ears.

I will be sending the blades out for heat treat btw..

Last edited:
Sounds like he knows your work and trusts your judgement. That's one heck of an endorsement, bro. Congratulations Frank!!

Do what he asked, make them like you're making 'em for yourself. Give him a little extra in the way of fancy wood or high polish and don't charge for it, as a thanks for his loyalty. That kinda customer deserves it and will prolly show off to all his buddies and get you a couple more orders.

"hold the best edge and not be real hard to sharpen"... I'd pick CPMD2 but it's not up to me. All the steels you listed are very good.

You have an opportunity to flex your muscles for a client who appreciates your craftsmanship and quality. Go for it!

I'm happy for you. What a heckuva problem to have :D

Last edited:
Congrats Frank sounds like he really likes your work. I'm sure his buddies will come calling soon for blades of their own. I would be conservative on the steel choice and use what you're comfortable with. Id focus on sound design, with plenty of communication back and forth with him, as you build it.

Just my 2 cents....

Gotta post some pics of this as go ???

Larry

I am thinking on using cpm154cm maybe in 5/32" with a tapered tang and some nice stabilized wood or some iron wood.

Last edited:
I am thinking of a bullnose skinner and a sort of pointier drop point than normal, with a separate gut hook tool also. Thanks for the advise!

Since MOST of what I have made in my time has been from "recycled" steel and O1, I really can't be of much assistance, but I AM looking forward to some progress pics!

I too like your work.

Charlie

Congrats on the endorsement Frank,

I agree with most, I would give cpm 154 a try. I know I am going to that!!

I am thinking of a bullnose skinner and a sort of pointier drop point than normal, with a separate gut hook tool also. Thanks for the advise!

That sounds like a great set. I bet you're excited and maybe a little nervous about makin it, but that just makes you feel alive. Congrats again bro!

I don't know a lot about knifemaking, but I do know a lot about business. Go with what you are comfortable with. Blazing new trails on work for a good client doesn't make good business sense. Make him the best you know how to do. Leave the experimentation for speculation knives or knives for yourself. That is my advice. It didn't cost you anything and that is probably what it is worth.:)

Congradulations on the order Frank. Being given total freedom to decide on design and materials for a 2 blade order sounds like a makers dream order. Properly H/T'ed any of the steels you listed should be easy to sharpen and hold a good edge. A couple more that came to mind are 52100 in carbon and 13C26 in stainless. And you can never go wrong with ironwood. As far as designs I think I would go with a skinner with a nice deep belly and a smaller drop or clip point for caping and small game. I'm sure whatever you decide will be nice. Just be sure and share some pics when they're done. Or better yet how about a work in progress. Whatever you do enjoy it. CHEERS!!

I have to agree. What a great dillema to have :). I can't help on steel suggestions but just wanted to lend support. I too hope for pics either a wip or when they are finished.
Good luck.

Congrats on the order, that will be a fun order for you to do. Just my 2 cents on the knife styles, I like a heavy blade, say 5/32" thick drop point for field dressing, then for the skinner, that is meant to just slice, I like a thin 3/32" or 1/8" thick blade, that can also double as a small game knife.
Dale

Thanks for the input. I just ordered some CPM154. Now to draw up a nice drop point and a nice skinner. I am thinking a 4" blade for the drop point and a 3.5" for the bullnose skinner right now but am open to suggestions.

Your fine work and customers speak well for you, Frank. Congratulations are in order, for sure.

As an appreciation to a repeat customer of mine, I'm sending him a CPM420V guthook knife, free of charge. He has sure earned it, considering all the business he has given me and the referrals that generated business. The said customer, Mark, is now a good friend, too. We make a lot of great friends in this business. 2thumbs

Here are the two drawings I came up with. Both will be 1/8" cpm154. The scales will most likely be black g10 with stainless corbies and tube and a mosaic pin in the middle. The sheath may be a man purse style that holds a knife on each side, not sure yet. Since its a set I don't want separate sheaths.

attachment.php

Looks like a fine hunter's/guide's set to me, Frank. A sheath that carries both together does make sense. Looking forward to seeing the finished set! :)

Back