Need some help, new shop, new company

gambler knives

Hey everyone, happy thanksgiving.

Me and my buddy have picked up the great hobby of knife making in between all of are school work, we have just a plain jane Ryobi bench grinder. We've made some pretty cool stuff, a hollow ground tanto fighter, a couple straight razor out of a drill bits, and a saber ground "bushcrafty" knife. We did not put handles on any of them, no sense in polishing a turd. But I shave with the strait razor, and sold couple. We are now looking to upgrade. We cut did a lot of landscaping, and we now have about $2,000 to throw around. And we need tooling. We are set up in a shed with power. So we are pretty set on a coote grinder, any recommendations for a motor and belts. I would like a kmg but we need other tools and equipment now. Any other tools and equipment you guys could recommend, this would be a great help. Thanks for listening to me blabbing on, Happy Thanksgiving.

Mark form gambler knives

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448566392587.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448566392587.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1448566412034.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448566412034.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1448566425530.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448566425530.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 56
Hey everyone, happy thanksgiving.

Me and my buddy have picked up the great hobby of knife making in between all of are school work, we have just a plain jane Ryobi bench grinder. We've made some pretty cool stuff, a hollow ground tanto fighter, a couple straight razor out of a drill bits, and a saber ground "bushcrafty" knife. We did not put handles on any of them, no sense in polishing a turd. But I shave with the strait razor, and sold couple. We are now looking to upgrade. We did a lot of landscaping, and we now have about $2,000 to throw around. And we need tooling. We are set up in a shed with power. So we are pretty set on a coote grinder, any recommendations for a motor and belts. I would like a kmg but we need other tools and equipment now. Any other tools and equipment you guys could recommend, this would be a great help. Thanks for listening to me blabbing on, Happy Thanksgiving.

Mark form gambler knives

I don't know anything about the coot grinder, but for around 600 you can get a grizzly. That would leave you 1400 for more tools. A good drill press. A few good files, etc. Good luck!

ok, a 2x72 coote grinder about $500 plus shipping. pulleys and belt about $75(make sure on of the pulleys is 3 or 4 step). a 1 hp motor will be $100 to $200. plan another $50 for plywood, wood, and metal to make a final assembled grinder. a basic benchtop drill press(craftsman or skil) $150. 9" bandsaw $150. a good 4 1/2" angle grinder $75. metal cutting vert/hori bandsaw $300. decent drill bits and a couple of taps $75. this puts you at $1525 if you shop well. plan to spend at least $100 on belts, $100 will get you between 10 and 20 ceramic or zirc belts. you haven't mentioned what you have for basic tools, i am assuming hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, socket set. plan $100 to upgrade your lighting, $100 for fans and small space heater.
if you want, drop the metal bandsaw and spend the $300 here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiln-enamel...776134?hash=item43e6032b06:g:x6UAAOSw4UtWRljl then you can heat treat any high carbon steels
just some thoughts

ok, a 2x72 coote grinder about $500 plus shipping. pulleys and belt about $75(make sure on of the pulleys is 3 or 4 step). a 1 hp motor will be $100 to $200. plan another $50 for plywood, wood, and metal to make a final assembled grinder. a basic benchtop drill press(craftsman or skil) $150. 9" bandsaw $150. a good 4 1/2" angle grinder $75. metal cutting vert/hori bandsaw $300. decent drill bits and a couple of taps $75. this puts you at $1525 if you shop well. plan to spend at least $100 on belts, $100 will get you between 10 and 20 ceramic or zirc belts. you haven't mentioned what you have for basic tools, i am assuming hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, socket set. plan $100 to upgrade your lighting, $100 for fans and small space heater.
if you want, drop the metal bandsaw and spend the $300 here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiln-enamel...776134?hash=item43e6032b06:g:x6UAAOSw4UtWRljl then you can heat treat any high carbon steels
just some thoughts
Thank you so much, this is such a big help, and yes I do just have basic tools like you said. Thanks again

Tip

make sure and get the small wheel and disk attachment with the coote. If you don't you will wish you did.

2 x 72 inch grinder. (You have your thoughts on this already.)
You will need some belts for the grinder. Bossdog gives some great advise about his over on USAknifemaker site. Be sure to read this carefully. It will save you time and money.
Drill press and a good drill bits used specifically for metal. (Make sure that it is as level as you can make it so that the holes are cut as straight as possible)
Metal bandsaw - very helpful in time savings but a hack saw will work.

This is the first tool I would get. A Bruce Bump file guide. If you do not know what it is . . . look here. It will help you immensely with all kinds of knife making jobs.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php...how-to-use-it&highlight=bruce+bump+file+guide

That is where I would start. . .others may have a different opinion but I just spent all your money.

Good Luck.

DeMo

Last edited:
I would take a step up from a 1 HP motor to a 2 HP motor. I got mine from Ebay It was from a power washer. More power than than and you're probably looking at wiring your shop for 220 V which might not be a bad idea in it's own right. One hint on belts, actually two, stay away from the discount belts and treat them like the cost a penny a piece. The discount belts don't last and trying to grind with dull belts slows everything down and overheats your work faster.

Doug

Back