Need some advice on a Rockwell Tester I just picked up

teter09

Hey Guys, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here where Rockwell Testers are concerned and I have a few questions.

I picked up this Wilson Testor, 4JR for a really good deal. I know I don't need it right now, but for what it was, I just couldn't pass it up.

So here are my questions:
1st, I'm used to getting older machines and restoring them. This one has various dings and scratches but nothing too bad, yet. Living in central Florida, humidity is HIGH and this would be outside in the garage. From the picture below, do you think I should strip it and repaint or simply touch up the rough spots to prevent rust and let it go?

2nd, this came with 4 diamond tip indenters. One was in a container marked 'Trash' and the others are unlabeled. The trashed one I pulled out, felt it, which felt fine, but under my 10x loop, seems to have a small crack near the tip. The others appear to be smooth and no issues. Is the broken one trash and no further use (repair or anything of that sort)? And for the others which appear ok, any further examination needed or test to perform in order to check that they are solid?

3rd, it came with a few different testing blocks and some have been used different amounts than others. Is there a rule about when a test block is used up or should be discarded?

4th, I've read about disassembling the oil pot, cleaning it and putting in new oil. When dismantling it, anything I really need to be careful with or watch out for? I haven't yet taken it apart since I haven't had any help to pull it out of the crate and on to my bench! Its FAR too heavy to try it alone, just not worth the risk in my mind!

And since I always want to see pictures of things other people talk about, here they are, but from the sellers ad!

Front View.jpg

Side View.jpg

Accessories.jpg

I bought an old one like yours a few years ago and it works great. my dial doesn't read the C scale so I have to convert it. if yours is like that you can find the conversion chart on the web,I found Rockwells website and they sent me a nice wall chart I have on the wall next to it. as for the oil,I think the less you mess with it the better,at least play with it and do a lot of testing with it with the blocks that came with it. if I don't use it for a while I discount my first two reads then average the next three. one thing I did do is there's an adjustment for the down travel that I did,somewhere I read the amount of time the handle should travel after you trip the machine. you got a nice tester.

You have one of the best industrial testers. You should have gotten at least one of the calibrating blocks that go with it. Do the test blocks have a mark on them saying which hardness scale they are for and the actual harness of the block?

There are area few blocks included...they are in my third picture above. I was trying to determine when or If they could be 'used up'.

Back