Need opinions!!! Does this look weird or is it ok?

Self Made Knives

I've used micarta, both linen and canvas, but always one solid color. Got some orange/black G10 from Boss because I've got a customer that wants a highly visible handle. I was not planning any pattern, just started shaping where your fingers naturally lie on the handle. It feels good, but I don't know if the pattern that emerged is ok, looks kind of weird to me, what do you guys think?

koa and g10 2.jpg

Looks Tribal , I think it will grow on you. I did some handles with DewCarta , similar results and the people loved them.

I like it - I assembled a kit knife and did very similar scales... and I *like* it!

Not sure I would go Orange/Black, but oddly the Red/Black combo or the Blue/Black has always been acceptable.

If the client wants an easy to find knife, I believe you HAVE hit the mark! When it turns out to fit his hand nicely you got a winner!

Looks fine and functional to me. I've used Bossdog's Sunspot pearl Kirinite on a hunter for a customer that was afraid to lose the knife.

He hasn't lost it yet.DSCN1821.jpg

It looks fine to me but given the choice I would have gone with solid orange so that the outline wouldn't be broken up. On the other hand I think that it won't matter that much.

Doug

I don't think it looks weird it just looks like layered g10. Personally I'm not a huge fan and if he wanted high viz solid hunter orange g10 is what I would have gone with....but that's just personal preference.

Seems like it kind of distracts from the blade and the overall profile- but then again, it's gonna come down to personal taste, too. One man's "kinda-weird" is another man's "perfect!". I'd run it by the client, and see what he thinks. I'm building an Americanized Tanto for my son. I couldn't get excited about that profile at all, at first, but it's his favorite. The more I work on it, the more I've begun to like it. But, the main things is just that he likes it- and so far, He seems very pleased. But, what do I know- I've never sold a knife yet :thumbup1:

My guy actually asked for an orange handle. I just thought it would be too plain and wanted a little more. I posted a pic of it on my FB page and he says he likes it, but I gave him the option of going with plain orange or even an Anso pattern. Waiting on his reply.

Its highly visible alright! lol. It looks cool, not really my style though. I just ordered some of that material in natural colors, going to play around with it a bit. I really like your overall blade shapes so any handle color will work fine. Somebody will fall in love with it!

Back