Need Help ASAP with sandpaper drums

ScottH

I am new to making G10 scales for knives and this evening I made my first attempt at making some scales for a Ontario Rat1 knife. I use a dremel and a craftsman drill press with sandpaper drums to do most of the legwork. Here is my problem. The sandpaper always wants to shift either up or down off of the drum. How do I go about keeping the sandpaper on the drum? The drum and paper were bought as a 'kit' so I expected it to fit snug but it doesn't. :confused2:

Any help is much appreciated.

Try tightening up the drum,should be a nut on the top of it.screw it down a couple of turns.
Stan

I agree with Stan, there should be a nut or screw that when tightened, flares out the width of the rubber drum. If it doesn't flare enough to fit the diameter tightly, you may have to find a different brand of sandpaper for the bit. I have dremel brand drums and they will take dremel sanding bands and craftsman bands equally. I found a pack of cheap off brand bands and they fit VERY tight with the drum loosened, I have to put a bit of oil on the drum to get them to fit.

I did turn the nut on the top. I will try to tighten it alittle more tomorrow. Maybe I just didn't tighten it enough.

Thanks guys, :)

ScottH,
Wear a good Respirator when working G-10 at all times! That is Nasty stuff and will screw up your lungs quickly! also have a fan blowing the air out of the shop as well!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

You should be able to feel the paper getting tighter as you tighten the nut down. this will more/less tell you when to stop. If you can't pull the paper off with moderate pressure, then you should be ok.

Back