Need help!(Angry Wife)

akey

Is there an epoxy out there somewhere that doesn't stink to high heaven? I work in my garage that is connected to my house and my wife was mad at me for two days the last time I glued some scales up. So the Warden said I am only allowed to use the epoxy during yard time. :biggrin: That shouldn't be a problem when it gets warmer and the days get longer but right now it's too dang dark and COLD when I get home from work. I've thought about taking my light outside and doing the glue up and then bringing the knife in while it is drying but frankly I am a little nervous to try even that. :biggrin::biggrin:

New wife? ;)

What kind of epoxy are you using? I use Gflex and it doesnt smell bad/strong at all, honestly the hardener reminds me of chinese food strangely enough. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing though haha.

Just sort of the nature of this hobby. Should smell my garage after I do a batch of handles with micarta. Sweet jesus. I have an air suction system that pulls it all out, but I took my mask off once before evacing the air and it was HORRIBLE.

I use g-flex (thin) and agree that it does not stink too bad.

I also use K&G epoxy (thick). Again, not a bad stinker.

Just remember, I'm not married to you.

Happy wife - happy life.

DeMo

HA no she isn't new and she is great with putting up with my hobbies but she has her limits. Honestly, it did stink up the house pretty bad. My garage is heated/cooled along with the rest of the house so I am assuming that exacerbated the problem. I have been using Loctite epoxy I got from HD. Thanks for the reply, I will give that one a shot.

The answer to your problem is Vick's Vaporub. A little smeared under your noses, and the epoxy won't smell anymore. :3:

A little trick I learned on particularly unpleasant necropsies.

Rob!

I use Brownells Acra-Weld. I think it smell a little like peanut butter when it's curing, but not strong at all.

The answer to your problem is Vick's Vaporub. A little smeared under your noses, and the epoxy won't smell anymore. :3:

A little trick I learned on particularly unpleasant necropsies.

Rob!

If I suggest this I will probably wake up with Vapo rub in a place I don't want it tomorrow morning. :what!::biggrin:

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

If your wife felt that the epoxy was objectionable I would strongly recommend that you not work on bone in your garage. As far as the epoxy goes I don't think that the West system has a strong odor to it but then it's her nose and not mine.

Doug

Get some G/flex from Bossdog. Problem solved.

You want to mix and set epoxies at over 70 something degrees or they may not bond right.

HA no she isn't new and she is great with putting up with my hobbies but she has her limits. Honestly, it did stink up the house pretty bad. My garage is heated/cooled along with the rest of the house so I am assuming that exacerbated the problem. I have been using Loctite epoxy I got from HD. Thanks for the reply, I will give that one a shot.

I'm sure you're well aware, but I can't help but mention the inherent dangers of having an HVAC return shared between your house and garage.

A small amount of epoxy fumes will do little more than stink the place up. CO emissions from your vehicles, lawn mowers, or other gasoline engines can do much worse. Even running a gasoline powered generator in the event of a power outage can prove fatal in an attached garage WITHOUT shared HVAC, much more so with shared duct work.

Make sure you have a CO detector or two, and stay safe!

Smell isn't even in the top ten at my house. Wait till you get caught stepping in on the new floor with glue on the sole of your foot. :(. That one cost me but good!

I use system III and it is pretty good as far as smell goes

Erik

I'm sure you're well aware, but I can't help but mention the inherent dangers of having an HVAC return shared between your house and garage.

A small amount of epoxy fumes will do little more than stink the place up. CO emissions from your vehicles, lawn mowers, or other gasoline engines can do much worse. Even running a gasoline powered generator in the event of a power outage can prove fatal in an attached garage WITHOUT shared HVAC, much more so with shared duct work.

Make sure you have a CO detector or two, and stay safe!

Thanks for the warning. I would never run a gas engine indoors.

Smell isn't even in the top ten at my house. Wait till you get caught stepping in on the new floor with glue on the sole of your foot. :(. That one cost me but good!

I use system III and it is pretty good as far as smell goes

Erik

My wife will complain about me tracking in grinding swarf and steel chips. She always complains about the smells.

Back