Need handle scale edge finishing help

Shane Wink

How do you guys get a consistent edge around the border of the handle scales on Ti? I want the lines on the Ti scales to be crisp and not washed out but I dont know of a time efficient way to do them without a mill.

For G10, Micarta and carbon fiber I can run a small shaper table with a roll over bit to quickly soften the edges then sand to finish but I am hoping there is a way to get clean consistent appearance with Ti without a mill and not spend hours sanding.

I've always finished the edges on my knives on the belt grinder using a 300-400 grit belt, then hand sanded them. I rounded them off by hand against the vertical platen.

For Ti, I bead blasted them evenly, then anodized.

I didn't understand the question. Do you refer to a small bevel running all the profile of the scales?

Sorry for the late response I was out of country. Yes the bevel around the scale. i can do them easily in micarta and G10 but have a lot of trouble keeping it looking consistent with Ti.

First I do them with the scales attached down to 16, then I remove the scales and go around them with a 600, and 800 backed by a popsicle stick. Frank

Back