Need custom tools.

Guindesigns

I'm looking to do an a grind but I'm lost on how I could get the 3ft radius grind into my knife.I thought a custom platen but I wouldnt know about how to make it. Any thoughts?

For what it is worth. I watched Alec Steele make a platen for a chef knife. It did not look hard. He made the arc then heated the steel for the platen and bent it to fit. Simply,,,, o_O A little search and you should be able to find it. Best of luck!!

Here ya go!

This is from MAKING A CHEF'S KNIFE! Part #4. Enjoy it or start about 5.5 minutes into it. I hope this works!!!

Last edited:
For what it is worth. I watched Alec Steele make a platen for a chef knife. It did not look hard. He made the arc then heated the steel for the platen and bent it to fit. Simply,,,, o_O A little search and you should be able to find it. Best of luck!!

Here ya go!

This is from MAKING A CHEF'S KNIFE! Part #4. Enjoy it or start about 5.5 minutes into it. I hope this works!!!
Wow. That video is nearly intolerable what with the hooping and hollering.

I might make one though.

A) Hahahah!
B) I’m confused as to why someone would need this tool. I’m still very green so there’s much that I don’t know.
You use it to make the ideal concavity (I think that is the right word.) For an "S" grind which is supposed to be a great grind for chef knives.

I’d probably just get a suitable piece of bar stock for the platen, the grind a 36” radius into it. A 36 grit belt should rough it out pretty quickly, then just clean it up with finer grits and mount it up. Heat treat would be nice, though not completely necessary.

You could do it with a contact wheel, "IF" you had a 36" wheel. A curved platen is a cheap way to make that large hollow grind.

Gotcha ... I just push a little harder with my thumbs. And seeing this post got me to thinking that maybe I’m not supposed to be doing it that way. I also have no clue what the radius ends up being as the grind ends up parabolic instead of circular. 36 may be to big. Again as always I have no idea what I’m doing.

Back