need critique

Hard to tell without holding it in my hand, but would it feel better with a bigger "belly" in the handle and corresponding deeper dips? Though that might mess up the alignment of your pin holes.

I like it just the way it is, you can always do "coke bottle" grips. I think it needs either another pin hole in the rear of the tang or a lanyard hole.

I don't mind the curves and belly on the bottom side of the handle. I'd soften the hump on the spine between blade and handle.

The dip in the butt of the handle on the top side could be less drastic maybe? I'd do something different there, I think.

I also think you should move your rear pin back and front pin forward, in other words....move them out towards the ends of your scales a bit and put more space between them.

Just my opinions.

Bruce, I just freehanded a really quick sketch to illustrate what I had in mind. I don't know how to do it in an editing program so sorry if I botched your design and for the lousy sketch.

But TRYING to stay with your design, I would implement these changes to make it more streamlined and improve the flow TO MY EYE.

Doesnt mean I'm right at all.

I am surely not qualified to critique anyone’s work but the dip in the spine side of the pommel end of the handle draws my eye, I think I would change that maybe closer to JD’s drawing.

I’d knock that flare off the top of the butt. If you coke bottle the handle the butt will flare the way you want out to the sides. The rising butt flare is more of a large Bowie thing, imo.

I like the shape but I personally like a higher grind line.
which brings up a question : (dumbo alert !) is there a practical reason for a grind to be like half the blade width ( or greater)? is there a "golden" ratio of grind width to blade width or is it merely artists choice (eyeball it)?

which brings up a question : (dumbo alert !) is there a practical reason for a grind to be like half the blade width ( or greater)? is there a "golden" ratio of grind width to blade width or is it merely artists choice (eyeball it)?
Practical reasons would be to lighten the over all knife and improve the geometry of the blade. I don't know of any "Golden" ratio. I know there is a formula for doing Hollow grinds however (I do eyebal them however LOL!). Besides the 2 practical reasons it is an artistic choice for me.

thanks for the answer. BTW, I agree with you on the grind....too small. I'll do some more filing to increase its dimensions
there is, for your info, a golden ratio used in the layout of carvings on black powder rifle stocks. too long for an explanation here though.

thanks for the answer. BTW, I agree with you on the grind....too small. I'll do some more filing to increase its dimensions
there is, for your info, a golden ratio used in the layout of carvings on black powder rifle stocks. too long for an explanation here though.
Bruce are you using a filing jig to make your knives?

yes. i made it when I started about a year and a half ago. the first picture show the table portion of it
They work GREAT! But as I'm sure you know take a while to finish a knife! When I first started I used one too. I use to use a lot of Sharpies to keep track of how the grind was going. More towards the primary Bevel to blend the 2 as I climbed the grind higher up. And also higher up to even the bevels when I was almost done.

yeah, it does seem to be slow. but at my age slow is regular (and quiet and not dusty!) And seeing how much I enjoy the journey , if I gotta go back and do it till it's right ,so be it. it's winter and all the farm chores are caught up so I have plenty of time!

Back