need Bader B2 advice re: upgrading to VFD

Travis Fry

Should I buy this grinder?

I just ran across a 20 year old Bader B2 (I think it's a B2) for $700. It doesn't have a VFD that I can tell, but does have a new Baldor 2HP motor. I'd want to upgrade it to have variable speed, which will cost me. So, the question is, is it worth it to get this one and make it variable speed, or do I pass and keep looking? I don't know what other accessories it has, if any. What do y'all think?

Here are the pictures she sent. She doesn't really know anything about it other than what you can see in the pictures.

bader 1.jpgbader front.jpgbader motor.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a older DC motor, You can still get a VFD for it. Ask Cole that has a forum here on KD's

He sells Motors and VFD'S Etc.
Have you gotten to inspect the condition of the rubber on the wheels? Can you hear any noisy bearings?
Why are they selling is always a good thing to ask? How many attachments & wheels come with it?
You have to take these things into consideration? The price seems good, How much are you going to put into it?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

The owner is 150 miles away and I have not seen this in person or gotten to inspect it. Her husband, a knife maker, died in July. She wouldn't know what a platen was if I asked. I'm willing to put some $$ into it, but if it takes too much I should just get a KMG.

I would take a drive out and see the nice lady.
There may be all kinds of stuff that goes with it along with the rest of the tools in this man shop!

He has a new shop in the sky now so he won't need any of it any more.
The KMG is a good Machine, The thing is by the time you add all the improvements that the base model has, You have spend some serious money!

The aluminum wheels on the flat platen. Need to be replace with rubber covered ones, The drive wheel should also be rubber covered. The list goes on! I do own a KMG.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I'd be considering it seriously.
Just the machine and the extra wheel I can see are worth the $700. I have one, the machine is simple and built like a tank. A direct replacement motor from Bader was around that price alone. The round pin tooling arm takes some getting used to but you quickly discover the tricks to it. Easy to fab another. If you add a vfd to it, you're still ahead of the game. Bring your negotiation skills with you. Sometimes old is good.

Looking closer, the motor is single phase 110/220, not DC and the spring loaded knob on the tension arm was replaced by a bolt. Still not a big deal.

Rudy

Last edited:
Where do you keep finding all this stuff?
I've got a couple of Bader wheels, a tool arm, and a small wheel attachment we could swap if you end up with this grinder.

Agree with Rhino, take the drive and a pile of cash. You'll come back with plenty of good stuff, and maybe a grinder to boot. Remember how much the lady threw in when I bought my hardness tester.

I'm not at liberty to reveal my sources... but was thinking the same thing. J, in fact, I'll give you a call to see if there's anything you want, like maybe a better etcher. Knowing you've got the tool arm with small wheel attachment sweetens the pot considerably.

She advertised the grinder at this price, so that's fine. The problem is that I know I can't offer her what the other stuff is worth. I figure I'll tell her what I can pay for stuff, give her an idea what she can probably get elsewhere, let her decide, then help her sell it if she wants more than I can give her.

I changed my Bader B2 to a variable speed about five years ago and variable speed makes a big difference. If the machine and wheels are in good shape I'd say go for it.

She advertised the grinder at this price, so that's fine. The problem is that I know I can't offer her what the other stuff is worth. I figure I'll tell her what I can pay for stuff, give her an idea what she can probably get elsewhere, let her decide, then help her sell it if she wants more than I can give her.

Exactly. That's what I did for the other lady, good business for me, helpful for her.

Exactly. That's what I did for the other lady, good business for me, helpful for her.

I don't know the Lady or her situation but helping her I sure will help you in the amount of stuff and price you can get.

Last time I was asked to look at a shotgun in a deceased situation, and tell a lady what it was worth?
I went over, Unloaded it for her, "She didn't know how"
Told her what it was worth About $300-350 The laws and were to sell it.

I got a call about a week later, She said that everyone else that new about the shotgun was trying to get it for cheap and she was so thank full how I can over the same day. Unloaded it and told her all about it. That to stop by and I could have the gun for free, If I wanted it.

The shotgun is over in my cabinet.

So be a true gentleman to the lady and see what happens!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I have one of those old Baders which works great for hogging but does not track as well as my new variable speed B3. Make sure you get the upgrade stronger spring it will improve the tracking greatly.

ernie

The machine is probably good to use as is. If it is you can get it and use it for a while. The motor is an AC 3450 rpm motor. If you want a VFD you will have to get another motor. VFDs run 3 phase motors. The good news is that it is already set up to be direct drive. I sell the KBAC 27D VFD for $448.00 including free shipping CONUS, for a 1.5 hp motor (which I recommend) the price is $247.50 also with free shipping. You can run the 1.5 hp motor on 115v power. If you want a 2 hp motor the price is $273.42 and you have to hook the VFD to 230v power. A wiring kit for the 115v is $45.00 and for 230v is $60.00. There is also a VFD mounting bracket for $40.00. Again all include free shipping. Call me if you have more questions. I feel that the biggest mistake people make is not asking enough questions.

Back