Need advise on cutting ivory

You could cut it like I do antler and other odd sized or small material, George. I hotglue antler on a piece of 2X4 or some other squared piece of wood and cut or rip it on my tablesaw. Works slick as a greased pig and is safer than trying to cut it on the bandsaw.

You could cut it like I do antler and other odd sized or small material, George. I hotglue antler on a piece of 2X4 or some other squared piece of wood and cut or rip it on my tablesaw. Works slick as a greased pig and is safer than trying to cut it on the bandsaw.

Sounds Cooool!!!!!!2thumbs:D

If you give a dimension or two I may be able to "suggest" a way to cut it. In truth Tracy had the real go ahead way, but there are some real severe cracks that may not allow that to be done with any success. What is the diameter and tthe length, please. Yes, I have cut up many pieces but each seems to need bit of a change to do. Frank

Remember this would be my way to cut this piece for maximum use. It's too short in length for two sets so start by cutting off the end opposite the cracked end for an oversize length of what you want. Try to cut this parralel to the other end. No take and draw lines along the cracks to the other end. Sure you can do this before cutting off the end to see what you will end up getting. Now on the cracked end draw a line from one to the other. And on the other end draw a line between the two lines where the cracks would end up.This is where I would made the first cut either by standing the piece on end or lengthwise. To do dit lengthwise I would take a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood and cut a tappering slot in it to accept the end of the ivory which you jam in there. Yes the band saw works good and if you have a slow turning one either wood or metal they will work . I have a saw I set up to friction cut even hardened metal but I use mostly to cut titanium. It moves real fast and does a super job on both ivory and of course the titanium. So Its not the best news for this particular piece but you can still get two good scales for one knife out of that piece. After cutting that one piece cut another slot in that plywood to help in cutting the second scale oversize of course. Then it's to the grinder with a 36 grit or ? Frank.

Chadp,
Half the stuff I work with is Right-loosen, Left-tighten. The other half is your way. I am always confused which is which.:>)
Fred

Yep, bandsaw. I think I would fabricate some type of brace to keep the ivory stable as you ran it through the saw. That way your cuts would be parallel and you would be maximize your material.

Johnny

Back