Need a vise

Gliden07

Like the title says, I'm in need of a new shop vise for my knife making. I have a small Yost now, not impressed with it. I wanted a Wilton Bullet vise in about a 3 1/2" but don't believe that their worth 400-500 for a decent used one. Who makes a decent reasonably priced vise? $200 plus or minus a few bucks. I've been trying to research it but to be honest I haven't really found a decent review. They all seem to be ad's for Yost so either I got a lemon or I've been using my vise incorrectly? Not opposed to a quality used vise either. Would prefer a USA made etc... Any and all thoughts welcome. As always thanks!

Wilton is one of the best on the market in my opinion. I have a Sears Craftsman, bench model 6", its not the greatest but have done some tweaks on it that help!!

I wouldn't go under about a 5-6" as you never know when you are going to need the extra jaw width and opening ability!! $400-500 used is too high! Here is a
6 1/2" Wilton Tradesmen. Almost the same as a bullet, Brand New for $529.00!

Take a look on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wilton-bullet-vise they have several used ones. The big thing about buying somewhere that it has to be shipped, a vise is not a light thing. So you got to figure in that cost. I have found that a sincere email with a decent offer will often be considered by the seller and they will take the offer or counter with a fair offer!! Folks who sell all the time on Ebay make their money by quick turn around. The longer they have to sit on a item well....................you get the idea!

Another thing hit garage sales, and especially estate auctions. Farm auctions are also great places to find anvils and vices!!! I have been trying to find a decent post vice at a decent price now there is something about unheard of around here! I looked at one the guy wanted $295.00 for it. The handle was bent like a pretzel and the jaw had been busted and someone attempted to weld it back! The threads on the screw thread shaft had been chipped. I told him he best bet was to sell it for scrap steel! I don't think he appreciated that but, what the hey. If you are gonna offer junk for sale you have to find the right pigeon.

As mentioned above..... Yard, garage, and estate sales can all be gold mines for things such as this! I have a Wilton Bullet vise with 2 1/2" jaws.... it came in a five gallon bucket of odd bolts, nuts and parts at a yard sale....that I paid a whopping $5 for! :)

If it's a new vise you want, you might consider taking a look at Ace Hardware.... I purchased my last bigger vise there (the one that resides on the welding table in the hot shop). The sole reason I went with it was because the store manager told it was a full, lifetime warranty....and if anything every went wrong, bring it back and he'd give me a new one. That's pretty much unheard of for the majority of import vises.

As mentioned above..... Yard, garage, and estate sales can all be gold mines for things such as this! I have a Wilton Bullet vise with 2 1/2" jaws.... it came in a five gallon bucket of odd bolts, nuts and parts at a yard sale....that I paid a whopping $5 for! :)

If it's a new vise you want, you might consider taking a look at Ace Hardware.... I purchased my last bigger vise there (the one that resides on the welding table in the hot shop). The sole reason I went with it was because the store manager told it was a full, lifetime warranty....and if anything every went wrong, bring it back and he'd give me a new one. That's pretty much unheard of for the majority of import vises.

Ed I'll give ya $20 for it!! LOL!!!

I got this one from harbor freight until I can find one I really want, but it's doing a great job so I'm not actively looking for another vise right now. (I have 4" vintage Craftsman vise for heavy duty work).
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-inch-table-swivel-vise-97160.html
I use a wood screw vise similar to this one for holding the blade while I'm sanding polishing etc.
http://weldfabulous.com/bessey-lhs-...9012&CATARGETID=320010420059809905&CADEVICE=c
What I am actively looking for is a nice black smith standing vise like this one.

Last edited:
So I'm searching for a Wilton Bullet vise 2 of the ones I bid on from EBay went for over $300 with shipping. I go and look on a bunch of sites find a 75th Anniversary Wilton 5" Bullet vise on Amazon for $354.99 with free shipping!! Oh and it comes with a Hammer too!! I apply for their CC and get it, then I get a $70 Amazon Gift Card! Buy it with Sales tax shipped to my door Brand New with a hammer for $309.00. A 100 bucks or so more than I wanted to spend but I've wanted one of these vises for 20 plus years!! So the heck with it, I bought it!! Heat treat oven will be a while unless i can sell some stuff!! Ive bid on 25 of these vises on EBay over 3 or so months! Everyone of them sold for 250 to 500 bucks!! So $309 was a deal!!

If you buy a cheap vise new, spend a bit on a good teflon grease...It will help a bunch. Grease the screw good and the sliding parts. vises hate friction.

Back