Need a small wheel attachment, where and what size wheel??

Battle Creek Knives

I'm looking to buy a small wheel attachment for my kmg, I've looked at beaumont but was curious if there was somewhere else I should consider?

If I can get down the cost I could buy maybe 2-3 of the small wheels, I really don't know what size is going to suit my needs.. This is the biggest problem buying on the net, you sometimes just don't know what will work, trial and error..

I'm looking to make shorter work of handles, choils and whatnot..

From my measurements it seems a 1" diameter wheel would work good, but then again maybe 3/4", or even 1 1/4"

see why I need help?? @ $60 wheel I don't have the cash to guess...

I have one from beaumont and just picked up 2 of these for my horizontal build-

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/small-...7.html?zenid=9d7e90d618d9013164655ab8dfefceeb

Tracy's SMA is a beautifully made product and equal to Beaumont's in all ways IMHO. For my purposes the fact that it can be mounted horizontal is a HUGE plus. A 100% recommendation on this product from me.

005-4.jpg

I've got by with a 1" wheel for a long time but I'd suggest starting with a 3/4" as you first size.

I'd also recommend passing on the Poly wheels in favor of the "standard" ones like this-
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/34-contact-small-roller-wheel-p-704.html

I melted a 2" poly wheel running it on my flat platen. TOTALLY my fault for not following the warnings and paying attension to heat build-up but from now on I'm sticking with the regular style for small diameters. If a fella followed the advise and ran it slow and actually checked how much heat was building in the bearings the poly would work fine I think but I'm still gunshy of the small diameters in poly

Thats my .02 on the subject. Hope it helps- Josh

I'm looking to buy a small wheel attachment for my kmg, I've looked at beaumont but was curious if there was somewhere else I should consider?

If I can get down the cost I could buy maybe 2-3 of the small wheels, I really don't know what size is going to suit my needs.. This is the biggest problem buying on the net, you sometimes just don't know what will work, trial and error..

I'm looking to make shorter work of handles, choils and whatnot..

From my measurements it seems a 1" diameter wheel would work good, but then again maybe 3/4", or even 1 1/4"

see why I need help?? @ $60 wheel I don't have the cash to guess...

I have the KMG SWA and was just using it before I sat down to lunch here. It does it's job just fine.

The ones Josh has that can work horizonal would be my purchase today.

As with most tools, Only cry once and get the best you can afford at all times.

I second the vote on getting reall hard rubber wheels like these. www.contactrubber.com

Also start with the 3/4" , Like everything else we do! You can always make it bigger! It's a real pain to put the material back on.

I current have a 3/4" 1" & 1 1/2" in the small wheels. then the 2" rubber on top of my KMG & Hardcore Machines.

Keep us posted.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

This is NOT a recommendation, but a reference for the alternative. The small wheels for the Coote are almost free (like $7 IIRC) compared to the good, rubber contact wheels. Coote makes a very nice product to an awesome price point, but there is always a tradeoff that you may or may not be able to live with. I have not used the Coote poly wheels, because I rarely use the grinder, so I can't comment personally on their longevity.

FYI

Let me know what you think of that combo, Robert. I'm planning the same thing for sometime in the fairly short term, just need to sell some knives. I was thinking the 3/4" and then getting a 1 1/2 or 1 1/4". I'm getting a 2" rubber wheel on the top of my platen so that seems like it would give me a good range to work with.

Back