neck knives???

In Florida you would have to wear it on the outside Of your shirt I believe unless you had a concealed weapons permit. Contrast that with New York City were you would have to carry totally concealed but it could have a blade up to 4 inches long. Go figure

Steve, you post of the group of neck knives is what triggered my post here. I've often wondered about the attraction, and legal aspects of neck knives and decided I'd just ask for comments here. Got some good answers.

It seems the neck knife wasn't a problem in Fla since all they said at court house was "put in car".

Ken H>

Yea Ken, frankly I was kind of shocked. it was the main courthouse for my county. I was to testify as a witness "non knife related Ha Ha"
As I was in line I remembered I had it on and looked around, it was crowded. I figured oh well too late now, as soon as I went thru the alarm went off and I was instantly scrutinized. then I just spoke up like Oh! I forgot about that. while they were looking at it I asked if I could just go back out and put it in my truck, they said ok.

Now that story being told, my father was a cop and my whole life I've known many. their just people, if I was walking down the street with tattoo's on my face and my pants falling down and they found drugs on me the result might be different.
I believe the way you present yourself and act around police weighs heavily on your outcome.
we all know an inner city cop is going to react differently than one in a rural area, I don't care what state your in.....except maybe NY, NJ or CA.

I used to live in Virginia and some of the laws there were screwy. Sheath knives knives could only be worn as part of a re-enactment even or a sporting activity like hunting, fishing, or carrying it for safety when white water canoeing. I could never get a good answer as to maximum length though Ed's 2 3/4" sounds like a good estimate. Here in Illinois 3" is considered a pretty good estimate and wearing a sheath knife in and of itself is not illegal. Where you get caught is if you are carrying it to use in an illegal purpose but that applies to folding knives too. In some states concealed carry permits apply to knives where in others, like Virginia, they don't. You just have to check on your jurisdictions and go by that.

Doug
There is no Illinois state law regulating the length of knives unless there is "intent", where the length of a blade automatically qualifies it as a deadly weapon. Dirks and daggers are called out as deadly weapons in the UUW law.

Back