Neck knife WIP gift

Mark Barone

I'm going to make a neck knife for my son, he hikes and likes to climb mountains in NH. So of course I want to make it light as possible with still some function. I really like the designs that have a little finger grip to pull it out of the sheath. This is what I have so far. Also I have .08 kydex, should I go thinner for a neck knife sheath? It seems too thick.

IMG_3695.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I'd be inclined to narrow the blade a bit if using kydex for a sheath. On that design, the "pinch point" for holding the knife in place will be at the rear of the edge/grind..... the wider the blade, the more you'll have to play with the tension of the pinch point to get the amount of resistance you like.

Personally, I'd be inclined to narrow the blade a bit if using kydex for a sheath. On that design, the "pinch point" for holding the knife in place will be at the rear of the edge/grind..... the wider the blade, the more you'll have to play with the tension of the pinch point to get the amount of resistance you like.

I really like that suggestion. will do

Personally, I'd trade that tall short blade for a slightly longer narrower blade with less belly. You could increase the handle length slightly too and do all that for probably not much more weight if any.

I think it would make for a more versatile blade and handle.

But that's just my opinion and is highly subjective.

Ok thanks guys, I took your suggestions and dove into it. Maybe I should have waited for more, but I wanted to get going on it. I made this a WIP thread in case I need more help.

Here is the initial cut out with my angle grinder and 80 grit sanding belt up to my line. i made a thinner blade as recommended . I like it. Is the butt too big? It isn't while I hold it, but just questioning the asthetics of it. Should the bottom of the blade come in a little straighter toward that first finger grove?

IMG_72664.jpgK

Last edited:
Back