National Guard rules

cunningham

A young lady that has spent a lot of time under my roof will be leaving for Afghanistan in about a month, and I would like to send a knife with her.
There are rules I'm sure as to size,etc, and was hoping someone could explain them to me.
Thanks, Chad

It really depends on the rules in her unit. I would GUESS that as long as it's a reasonable EDC sized knife it's probably not gonna be much of a problem...

There is no way to know for sure though until she asks.

Tell her good luck and stay safe from ALL of us here! :)

Usually a good hip knife is best. You dont want to be carring a K-Bar size knife everywhere. And a knife you can keep on your person at all times is better than one in or on your pack.

One other thing to be thinking of,
There is only one thief in the Military! Everyone else is just trying to get their sh!t back!

I think the knife that I used the most in Iraq was a little neck knife that Charles Marlowe made for me.

No place to clip a folder in what we had to wear.....

The neck knife is probably the best idea. It doesnt take a very big knife to look big on her.
I've heard of some guys not being allowed to bring them back on the commercial airlines, but if that happens,I'll make her another one.
As far as thieves,she is some how working with the polish army, and she has been warned.
Thanks for the ideas.
Chad

i dont know about the guard but my brother is regular army and he has a new style K-bar. most of the guys in his unit carry that style of knife. but soon my bro will carry one of mine...:D

Keep in mind what her mission will be in theatre when designing the knife. As a pre-deployment instructor I see alot of silly looking stuff come thru my training lanes. The funniest is seeing a finance guy carrying a combat knife with a 7" blade. Most finance guys never leave the wire.

On my two deployments to Iraq, I carried a Jim Crowell bowie with a 7 1/2" blade on a drop leg rig. My first deployment I was conducting combat patrols both mounted and dismounted. If nothing else, it intimidated the hell out of the locals and kept them at bay. My last deployment, I was on a convoy security mission and spent the bulk of my time mounted. I found that a knife that size really got in my way.

A really good all purpose knife for an average soldier would probably be one with a 3 1/2-5" blade in my opinion. My newest combat knife that I designed and Jim Crowell made for me had a 1/4"x2"x 5" blade. I decided I needed something with a shorter blade, but I wanted to insure I had enough weight and strength to where I could use it for multiple tasks (this thing is so damn tough, I could use it as a prybar in a pinch if need be).

As far as rules and regs, any knife with a 5" blade or less should be good. That is the "typical rule" for most units when dealing with fixed blades. It will also be able to be transported easily. I had to ship my blade home via USPS Registered Mail due to its blade length and Customs Regs.

Murph

As Les said, she's going to have to check with her unit CO. When I made a knife for my brother in law to take to Afghanistan, the unit rule was that no knives could be carried inside the FOB. He had to get special permission from his CO to carry, and then it had to have a 4 inch blade, or less. Absolutely no "combat" knives were allowed unless a unit was leaving for patrol/forward action.

There may also be regs for the sheath--usually the knife sheath, especially on a longer knife--will have to meet "jump ready" requirements.

As already stated it will be up to her unit CO. My daughter left this weekend to go there. She made it to Kuwait on Monday and arived at base on Tuesday. She took a necker with her and a 3 1/2 inch one that she has a kydex sheath for that she can put on with a Molle. On a different note, the time zone is strange. She is 10.5 hours ahead of me. Anyway a necker or some style of EDC is best from what she told me.

Thanks for all the help guys. I started on a 3.25 in. blade, 4 in. handle knife yesterday. A2 steel. Handle material is still up in the air. It will be a lot more useful than any type combat knife.
WadeH, I worry about the young ladies probably more than I would a man, but I'm sure it's nothing they can't handle. BTW I spent a lot of years working in the Longview area.
Thanks, Chad

I'll pass along some advice I got from Ed Caffrey when I made up the knife for my BIL. He said to make it simple, and not too fancy. If it's nice, someone is likely to steal it if they get the chance--it could be one of our military, it could be one of the civilian locals. In the sandy environment, leather sheaths didn't last long--he recommended Kydex. As for handles, think utilitarian and durable--canvas micarta or similar, held with shouldered bolts (Loveless, Corby, etc.). And, don't put any marks that could identify the owner or the unit--heaven forbid if she is captured and that information used against her.

Chad,

If you need you need specific info (ie. rules for a specific camp), send me a PM or e-mail me with your contact info. I'll do some research and get you the info you need. I have a few buddies from Tx National Guard in Afganistan right now.

Murph

Thanks for the advice and offer.
As much as I would like to have an excuse to build a big flashy fighter, utility will be the way I go.
This knife is coming together, found some micarta I didn't remember having,no kydex,but I'll think of something.
Thanks again, Chad

If you need kydex, just let me know what size. I have a bit stashed away and would gladly help out another soldier.

Murph

Back