Name that Knife... Karelian Birch Utility Fighter

Erin Burke

Good morning all. This is how I spent my weekend. I'm not exactly sure what to call it... it's a bit small (in my opinion) to be a staight-up fighter, but that sharp clip makes it a bit more than a utility. So I'm calling it a Utility Fighter. I'm always up for a bit of education... so if y'all have thoughts on what to call it, please chime in.

The blade is some of Don's W2 that has been differentially heat-treated and mildly antiqued, while the handle is a lovely piece of stabilized Karelian Birch from Mark's recent batch. Let me be one of the first to say that this wood is fantastic. It doesn't really have any chatoyance like you'd find in koa or redwood, but it has a very warm, rich feel/look to it. It really reminds me of butterscotch. After receiving my first few blocks from Burl Source, I liked them so much that I went back for a second helping. :thumbup:

Some Stats:
Length: 8-1/4"
Blade : 3-5/8" (Tip to choil)
Steel: Differentially Heat-Treated W2 (from DH3)
Handle: Stabilized Karelian Birch (Burl Source) w/ domed mild steel pin
Fittings: mild steel

8693818675_f6bd4b721f_b.jpg

8694938822_e2bc96d4fa_b.jpg

8694938972_c22bf56673_b.jpg

This is probably my most complex sheath to date... and my first with a strap and Sam Brown stud to provide additional retention (though it is still possible to draw the knife even with the strap in place).

Thanks for checking it out. Erin

Pretty little knife Erin
That looks like a "Harpoon" styled blade. Maybe I,ve been watching "Wicked Tuna" too much lately.

Back