"My very first knife" - post up!

I don't have my first attempt at making a knife, but I can tell you about it. It was a piece of steel bar stock, the kind you find in the rack at a hardware store for fabricating things with a welder. Definitely not high carbon steel of any kind. One of my friends at the time had a party at his house (parents were out of town0 and we somehow ended up in the garage. After cutting out the profile of a big 10" blade bowie/Rambo looking thing with a hack saw, I used his dad's 4X36 belt sander to put what I would later learn is called a scandi grind on it. Then I made a bunch of notches in the spine using a cut-off wheel to make a saw back. It got the electrical tape handle treatment, as mentioned above. The rest of the guys at the party loved it. We didn't know a thing about heat treatment. But it looked as good as the junk they sold at the flea markets so it was a lot of fun.

Anyhow, fast forward a couple of decades. Now we have the internet and I decided I wanted to make knives so I did some research, bought a few books and read up as much as I could to give myself a shot at making a decent knife right from the start.

This was the very first knife I ever made from start to finish out of real steel, anyway. It's A2, and I probably botched the HT. I gave it as a gift to my FIL, and he hasn't complained about the edge holding so either it's better than I thought, or he just doesn't use it. You can't see the uneven plunge in the picture. but the knife was supposed to be a flat grind. I tried the freehand thing and it didn't work out for me. not wanting to waste the steel, I did my best to salvage it be doing a convex grind instead. The handle is dymondwood. Also another of those beginner cliches I suppose. I still like the stuff. Anyhow the only reason this knife doesn't look worse than it does is because of site like this where people freely share their knowledge and experience. It enabled me to sidestep some beginner mistakes, but there simply is no substitute for actual shop time. There are some things you can only learn by doing.

IMG_0447.jpg

And here's my most recent knife. This is probably my 30th or so. Sadly, I haven't made a knife in months. Wife and I bought a new house and I haven't moved my tools yet from the old shop.

IMG_1928.jpg

I still have a looooong way to go and a lot to learn. Hopefully I can get my shop moved and set up and get back to making knives before I forget what I'm doing and have to start over! :34:

As would I! I left it with the guy who's steel and tools I used. I wonder if my memory of it was more flattering or more critical.

As would I! I left it with the guy who's steel and tools I used. I wonder if my memory of it was more flattering or more critical.

Very few first knives are attractive but in your minds eye it was a real beauty. Maybe you could get it back or recreate one just like it. Was it Budweiser inspired? Hehee

There was definitely a little ethanol in the mix. Sadly that was decades ago and over a thousand miles away. It would truly be easier to make another one like it than to try to track down long forgotten high school drinking buddies... :D

I remember some of those days when the parents are out of town for the night....and then again I dont remember everything about those days. hehee The ethanol does cause the creative juices to flow doesnt it?

You should make a commemorative bowie and name it "Old School" or "Rambo Beware" or "The Budwieser Bowie"

Last edited:
Pigmy Rattler.jpgHunter Skinner.jpgTanto Fighter.jpgHi Guys
Heres a pic of my first three completed knives.I began this year somtime in feb. and have made 17 so far. I am calling this one the PIGMY RATTLER. It is a neck knife although large at 6 1/2 inches. It is made out of ATS-34 rockwell tested to 61 with OD green and black G-10 handles. It has stainless tubing for pins and a para cord and skull fob I put together. And a beadblast finish because I like it.
Here is my 2nd & 3rd knife compleated.

Tanto Knife
ATS 34 steel
Rockwell 61
G-10 Black & OD Green handles
Stainless tubeing handle pins
9 inchs overall
5 inch blade
3/16 thick
Beadblast finnish

Hunter/Skinner Knife
440c steel
61 Rockwell
G-10 Black & OD Green Handles
Stainless tubeing handle pins
8 1/4 inches overall
4 1/4 blade
3/16 thick
Beadblast finnish
Tell me what you think!
Thanks for looking!
MoblMec

Last edited:
Heres a few large ones.

Gaboon Viper_1500.jpgBushmaster.jpgDSC_4867.jpg
Gaboon Viper #5
Bushmaster #6
Zombie Slayer #7

Last edited:
My first knife was made in my spare time at work with an angle grinder, really crappy bench grinder, drill press, and some sand paper.

Mild steel in a very rough and pitted condition. I knew nothing about what I was doing at the time. still don't really.

knife001.jpg

knife003.jpg

The second knife I made. 1/4" 6150 and g11 handle. Material donated by Chris Martin from Chris Martin Knives. Not much better than the first. Still using the same crappy tools.

knife006.jpg

knife005.jpg

knife007.jpg

TWSS,
These are some interesting knife styles. I kinda like the way you think. What's your latest knife look like?

TWSS,
These are some interesting knife styles. I kinda like the way you think. What's your latest knife look like?

The last one you saw was made about 2 years ago. I haven't made one since. I will probably slightly modify the last one in style and use it for the next couple of knives I will make. I am getting some better tools so maybe I can make something worth owning.

This is my very first knife. Forged from spring steel, hidden tang with hand made brass fittings, antler spacers, ebony and rosewood handle.

CIMG5528.jpg

CIMG5535.jpg

CIMG5547.jpg

Thanks Bruce, I've made a few since that one and honestly I'm finding more flaws in my later work then my first one lol. I spent a ton of time on that first knife. I bet I have 40+ hours into it and lots of head scratching. Since my first knife I have stuck to full tang knives mostly. I have two forged "fighters" on the go but they are only a here and there project.

Here's my latest. I literally just finished the sheath.

O1 tool steel mirror polish
Cocobolo scales
Black liners
Pure silver spacers between black spacers
Mosaic pins
File work
Damascus bolsters
The handle has 21 pieces.

This one took me a long time to make. I started it about a year ago.

D18AD23B-1923-4B29-9ADD-2F919DC58140-751-0000007C0B22728A.jpg

3ADBF4BB-B6C3-46C6-A8D5-8B1F4566271B-751-00000077C3111115.jpg

8415D2BF-C2C4-4904-BCD5-C60616BF857A-751-000000757782B1B7.jpg

1748FC30-6D5F-44C0-8987-9DECD99C37C0-751-0000007547D16F05.jpg

519B7BD6-33A7-4D53-A29C-040C8AE381F9-751-00000077A8D11751.jpg

I believe I have threads for the other ones I finished.

Last edited:
It's rare to see a maker start with such a well made knife. Kinda hard to see very much improvement. Awesome work, feel free to share more.

Unusual design in that you have a Upswepted Drop point. I do like the handle configuration but would need to field test this one, It looks that by dropping a upswepted hunter, with the way you have placed the guard you have eliminated the usable belly of the blade.
Most of the cutting action appears to be to far up towards the tip.

Just some design aspects for you to think about for your new design. Still excellent work and my 4th knife did look that good.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back