My very first Knife handle

Owen Vernon

I mentioned at work that I was going to give knives for Christmas this year and I've been working toward that by getting tools, equipment and supplies that I would need to begin with handles and eventually knifemaking. So a co-worker decides that knives sounds like a cool Christmas gift and asks me if I could make 4 for her as well. So after a week she picks out the knife blank she wants, then she picks out my 2 best sets of scales. :sad: I had to go the Lincoln, NE for 8 days with a family emergency. So now it's crunch time no time to practice on inexpensive stuff It's glue on the good stuff and go. I was tentative since I had never shaped a handle and I didn't want to wreck a beautiful piece of burl. It turned out very nice Now I want to keep it :biggrin:

Vernon Knife #1.jpg

Keep it, I would hide it and make another. A 100 knives later you would have at least 99 knives because "the more you make, the better they get." I have all my first. Big box.

Very nice handle work.

I forgot it's an order, you got to keep your good name. So, knife goodby!

Owen,
Overall I think you did great for your first handle. Better than my first was! LOL

I do have one little suggestion for you on the next one..
I think you want to give yourself a little more from from the front of the scale to where the first pin.

Keep them coming!

Owen,
Overall I think you did great for your first handle. Better than my first was! LOL

I do have one little suggestion for you on the next one..
I think you want to give yourself a little more from from the front of the scale to where the first pin.

Yes I agree... I enlarged an existing bolster hole from 1/8 to 1/4 and should have lengthened it more to give me a bit more material to work with.

Last edited:
Yes Bruce not too far away. I had just found out from David that you lived in Walla Walla a few weeks ago. I had seen your name on a good many posts and didn't realize you were nearby.

#2 handle but I cut it before I realized I needed more room in front of the forward pin. This is mystery wood. I bought out a hobbyist maker and there are 8 or so blocks of this wood all stabilized but not sure of what it is.IMG_0985[1].jpg

Good work......I have a bunch of handle material and I keep making Bowies with hidden tangs. I've made several with full tangs but for some reason I keep going to the Bowies...I started teaching missionaries from the church how to make these knives and I guess I've taught well over a hundred how to do it and some are really good. I want to do some similar to yours......it seems a lot of hunters and folks I deal with on AT (archery talk) like the smaller blades for skinning......

Back