My Next Two Designs

nipsip

what do you think?

Billhook - Ancient design but I like this one model. Not popular in US.

2lmlzt4.jpg

US Army 1904 Bolo

345yeqf.jpg

The US 1904 Bolo is the one I have bought, sold & used. several times.

It is correctly called a "U.S. Hospital Corpsman knife of 1904". designed for making litters to carry wounded soldiers and clearing brush. That's the U.S. Navy & Marines. not Army.
Not designed as a fighter, no pointy tip. I suppose a few were used that way? Some collectors want original ones, Can't see much of a demand for a modern copy.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish? I would suggest making your own designs.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I've always liked that bill hook design, and have intended to make one if I ever get around to it. My idea is to have a finer bevel on the primary edge with an axe-like bevel on the back, seems like a good idea anyway... :) I've read somewhere that this design goes back all the way to the Romans... I would make the tang wider at the tang/blade junction, tapering in width towards the end, just to add some strength where it is needed most.

The bolo, well, I'd have to modify the design slightly to make it look better, it is kinda homely as is but could be made graceful (for a bolo anyway) by having the curve of the spine of the blade and the curve of the back of the handle be one continuous 's' curve, instead of broken up like that.

GHEzell;230674 I've read somewhere that this design goes back all the way to the Romans... I would make the tang wider at the tang/blade junction said:
Hello George,
Back to the early bronze age actually.
And the swords and shields will be beaten into plowshares & pruning hooks! " Isaiah "

The Billhook was a short Pruner & Axe agricultural combo.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The first one is really interesting. I had an old timer stop by the shop and pulled this out of his pickup!
IMG_2269.jpg

It's been a while but I am pretty sure it was like 3/8" thick!
Paul

Back