my newest, input welcome

Jbh blades

11-5-2014 063.jpg11-5-2014 068.jpg11-5-2014 072.jpg11-5-2014 059.jpg11-5-2014 080.jpg11-5-2014 082.jpg
I made my first knife one year ago this month with files and hand tools. Snowballing! Yeah I'm hooked. Well here is my latest.
4 1/2" blade of 3/16" O1, 9 1/4" overall. This is the first blade out of my new kiln and I'm pretty proud of it. I'd like to know what some of you real makers think. Good, bad, indifferent, all input is welcome. You don't grow without honest critique.

Thanks, JBH

I just meant any of you talented people on the forum not specifically "real makers". bad word choice on my part.
Thanks guys!

Jbh, you should be proud as that is a very nice job on that one. I have to look really hard to see anything- the blade finish looks great and plunge looks clean, which is tough to get right early on. Couple things on the handle- the sides look pretty flat which create 'hot zones' or corners on handle that could cause hand discomfort if knife were used for an extended period, so can try to make handle cross section more of an oval than a square. Also the center pin hole looks to have some breakout around it, which is usually avoided by using thick enough stock to be able to grind off enough to remove chipping around pins. And one last thing- I may be wrong- but I don't see a welt in your sheath- the strip of leather added along edge to prevent the sharpened edge from contacting the stitching thread- it may be there but don't see it. This is all I can come up with- it is really a nice job though - you are well on the way for sure- Paul

Thank you, Paul. I noticed the "breakout" on that pin too (didn't know what the term for that was) but did not want to grind too deep to get it out.So basically I should have left my scales and pins a bit wider to begin with? Great advice and a keen eye!

Jbh yes leave stock to grind off breakout - that is ideal. There are times when stock isn't thick enough to do this, in which case can clamp piece of stock to outside surface, or can put super glue on area to stabilize it so the breakout doesn't happen, such as with pearl and higher end materials.

I like it a lot.
The grind is flat and clean and the plunge lines are well executed.
While the handle is very utilitarian, it looks sturdy.
I am most impressed with the grind.
Keep up the good work.
Regards,
Steve

Back