My new "Portable Knife Shop"

Edgejunkie

First I must say that I have been reading on this forum for a while now and trying to learn as much as I can. Learning via internet I have found not to be very easy. I have been reading on this site and several others for about two years now. I spent most of this time learning about knives and mostly sharpening.

Now I want to try my hand at making some knives. I took the advice I found and decided to take my time and get some good tools first. I finally decided on the TW-90 grinder. I also have other tools but not everything yet.

I dont have a shop and my wife would not give up the garage for my "HOBBY"....So I had to figure out a way to make it somewhat portable.

I had an old Rigid Tool box I was not using and it already had wheels on it. So I just bolted some plywood to it and made a workbench...added a back wall to store tools...and the belts on the backside....

I attached the TW90 grinder to one end and my Kally to the other....along with a knife vice. I even made sure to hang the grinder belt off the edge of the table so not to get hit in the face should one break. (that was a tip I learned from this site).

All my grinder attachments and other supplies go inside the tool box.

Just wanted to share my progress so far on my set up. I will need a lot of advise in the future. Any comments are helpful.

Also my first time posting a picture so I hope it works.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 116
Really nice set up.

I still have my KMG setting on my rollaway in my shop. When I first got my KMG I was in an "unaccompanied assignment" and didn't have a shop. The living room abd downstairs closet of my apartment was my storage area for my tools and I would roll or carry tools to the back deck to work. Now I have a small shop to work in and feel as though I had more room when I was working on the deck.

Great set-up and Congrats on the top of the line machine!

That's the ideal way to go with Machinery, Only cry once!

Way more than I had to start. LOL

I suggest that you use empty tape rolls or Carpet Tube cardboard slices to hang the belts on.
That way they won't develop a thump or bend in the area were they are hung.

You seem like a innovator and that is key in knife making!

Best of luck!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last edited:
That is really a nice looking set up. Also nice grinder! The only problem I see is it looks to clean.

Congrats and good job.

Yeahhhh... That whole "wife doesn't want me to take over the garage" thing.

We all start out that way ;)

Throw on a 36x hogger and dust the whole place out grinding a bunch of blades. Eventually the man cave will be so dirty she'll lose interest and succumb to the fact that your "hobby" brings you alot of happiness. Minus one garage, plus a happy husband, is a win win.

It's also a plus to make her some knives for the kitchen

4 years later I just rearranged MY shop (read garage :) ) to make better room of the space and built another work bench for a desk like work area and a sturdy place for the Evenheat.

In all seriousness though, GREAT looking set-up you've got going there !!!! LOVE the belt storage too.

-Josh

Thanks for all the kind words. I just have a few more items to get then I have to learn how to make a knife. I'll be asking for help in the near future.

Back