My latest one - a drop point hunter for a friends 60th birthday

RickA

Hi Everyone

I finished this one last week, it was commissioned by a friends wife for his 60th Birthday.
Blade - 3.25mm N690 Hollow Ground (59Rc)
Handle - composite scales of African Blackwood and Wild Olive with a white spacer.
Two tone leather sheath with a reversible belt loop for right or left side carry.

Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (2 of 21).jpg Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (4 of 21).jpg Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (8 of 21).jpg Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (9 of 21).jpg Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (10 of 21).jpg
Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (3 of 3).jpg Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (belt loop).jpg

The reversible belt loop sheath is something I experimented with for the first time here. The sheath itself has the same layout and stamping on both sides
If you look at the picture of the sheath above - the "strap" around the mouth of the sheath is the front of the belt loop assembly, it is wet formed to the shape of the sheath. The aluminium book binding stud which you can see in the middle of the strap to the left of the logo is used to fasten the belt loop to the sheath body (it isnt a rivet - but rather has two pieces, one screwing into the other - very similar to chicago screws as used with Kydex), and provides an additional benefit of adding some retention tightness to the knife when inserted in the sheath. The hole in the belt loop assembly is centered, which allows the user to unscrew the book binding stud (screw head is on the back side), remove the stud and flip the belt loop assembly over, and refit the binding stud. This places the belt loop on the opposite side of the sheath for left side carry. The logo would be upside down, but that isnt really a problem. The experiment worked ok, but I would like to work on some modifications / improvements for future use.

Great work love the color combo for the whole complete package they all accant the other so well.

Very nice! I take it the belt loop is a separate accessory piece that's not shown.

Hi George

Thanks for the compliment.

As far as the belt loop goes , it isn't actually a separate piece, the "mid brown" piece of leather seen "wrapped" around the mouth of the sheath (with the logo stamped on it and the silver book binding stud through it), is the front part of the belt loop assembly, the belt loop itself is behind the sheath in the views shown above. As mentioned it was a first time experiment - the loop itself could have been better constructed, stitching it was a pain as once the loops were glued, I had to stitch with clear access only to the outside of the loop (ie: to push the needle through from the inside of the belt loop, I had to use long nose pliers and a curved needle, but the basic concept works well.

I will more than likely modify the belt assembly to simplify and neaten construction for future sheaths.

Schalk-Drop Point Hunter (belt loop).jpg

Last edited:
Cool combination of the handle materials. Such nicely defined grind lines.

What size wheel did you use to grind the bevels?

Great execution, beautifully done

Thanks for the compliment Bushcraftbasics appreciate it.

Cool combination of the handle materials. Such nicely defined grind lines.

What size wheel did you use to grind the bevels?

Thanks JPSWorks, I use a 12" diameter, 1" wide contact wheel, with 30mm / 1.18" belts - equal overhang on both sides for the plunge lines, no tracking the belt left or right is required.

Back