My latest hunter

Self Made Knives

Just finished this one tonight. This is the first time I'm venturing to post a knife outside the "New Makers" section, hope that's ok.

Scales are quilted Pomelle Sapelle stabilized with Cactus Juice.
300 series SS bolsters and pins
Mosaic pins
Tapered tang
Rounded spine
Hunter orange G10 liners (which didn't end up very orange, kind of muted, barely noticeable)
Custom etching on the back for the customer
John Doyle inspired jimping
My standard leather sheath

Comments/critiques welcome.

DSC06268.jpg DSC06252.jpg DSC06266.jpg DSC06245.jpg DSC06262.jpg

Looks great Anthony. I can see the amount of work that was put into this knife. Very nice my friend

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Great knife, my friend! Fit and finish look tight and the etching turned out nice too. One to be proud of for sure.

Thanks for the kind words guys. This knife will be presented tomorrow morning at a retirement party, I hope he likes it. Oh, by the way, these were the first pics with the light box I made last weekend, I'm loving it! I used to spend a ton of time fiddling with lights and paper reflectors, and still had lousy pics. But not now, pretty much drop it in and go. The video link is posted in the Photography forum.

The knife was presented at the retirement party this morning and it was a big hit. Got tons of questions about how I put the inscription on it, most people have never heard of electro chemical etching. Trying to explain it leaves kind of a blank look on their face. Lots of "how did you do..." type questions. I had it scary sharp and as they passed it around, I was nervous someone would get cut. Several people wanting to order knives, but I had to tell them all no, I've already got an order list and I just don't have the time. It stinks when people like you stuff and want it, but you just can't give it to them.

Oh, I didn't list the steel. This is more of the A8 steel I've been experimenting with. I've made some test blades with it at a couple different hardness levels and I think it works well for me at about 60hrc. Not too hard to sharpen and seems to hold an edge well. It has some chromium in it, but not quite a SS. It seems to have a lot of toughness in the chopping tests I did and it seems to laugh at sandpaper when hand sanding. I haven't tried a bend/break test yet, but I probably should someday.

If you ever figure out how to make orange liners orange, let me know please. I've made a few knives with orange bolsters and liners and they don't match. The same goes for red too. Great looking knife!

Here are a couple more pics, and I agree Matt! The orange G10 liner was a let down, it ended up kind of brown looking. I've used the dark red fiber liner and it seemed keep it's color better. To second Matt's comment, is there a way to get a bright hunter's orange liner?

DSC06304009.jpg DSC06283008.jpg DSC06282007.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried using it up to .063" thick, coloring the apoxy, hand sanding with clean paper, putting WD40 on it and sanding all the way to 2000 grit. The only other thing I can think of is going to a .090" liner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
Back