My first two blades.

Ty Hathaway

These are two pieces i made late last year.

The first one is an old 18 inch Bolo Machete that belonged to my late father in law that was rusty with a chipped blade that i recreated into a Bowie style saw back that has been retired to the wall in my Florida room as a display piece.

The second started life off as an old garden scythe that is now some sort of tanto saw back sword machete type thing and is the one that i use around my property and fishing down at the river.

They are both painted with the krylon fusion camo paint that i found out is actually quite durable.

The handles are both wrapped in mil spec olive drab para-cord

Surprisingly the second one really packs a punch and the saw back beats any of the other ones iv seen tested in videos.

Im currently working on a new design combining a machete and another old world tool together in one and as far as i can tell its never been done before but i could be wrong.

All in all i had a great time building both of these and found that i really like working with steel more than i thought i would.

They aren't the works of art that iv seen in the other members threads but they function the way they should and im happy with them.

Last edited:
Ty,
During WW1 the germans put saw backs on the engineer's Bayonet supposedly for a machine gunner to get through tree roots when digging the gun in placement. They have come and gone a few times since then.

If you read the book, "All quiet on the western front". The Brits would shoot on site any german soldier captured that had one of those bayonets because they said the wound they created wouldn't heal.

Keep experimenting and you will find a good practical design for your needs.

Back