My first true Bowie in a few years.

BRad704

The first knife I ever made was a Bowie for my dad with lots of help from Jim Adams in his shop. That was either 4 or 5 years ago.

Recently a friend asked me to make his 'wedding knife' to go with his wedding gun (nickel revolver with dark walnut grip). He's an out-west kinda guy, so I figured a classic Bowie with walnut handle would suit him.

I'm currently torn between a steel guard and a brass guard, so I'm working on both.

Normally designing a knife is easy for me, but I'm getting bogged down in the details on the one. Mainly overwhelmed thinking about the order of events in construction since I am not used to hidden tangs and fitting guards.

Is it ok to have the guard flush with the spine of the blade?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416003123.846201.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416003192.301796.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416003302.329432.jpg

I would use 416 stainless steel highly polished to keep with the revolver colors. It makes a very nice guard and is good to work with. USA Knifemaker Supply normally has it and they deliver fast.

Good idea. I actually have a box coming from them to be delivered today, but without any guard materials.

I do have a steel guard that I got somewhere, don't recall where but I don't think it was from Boss.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416055611.816842.jpg

Back