My first real attempt at carving and stamping

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
View attachment 370162012 knives 048.jpgI gave it my best shot it took about 40 minutes maybee 50 I think the key is to case the the leather perfectly and im not to good at it yet. I used a patern out of a tandy book I have then trasfered with a ball point pen. I need some tips on using dye for sure as making it pop is hard but all advice is wellcome. thanks for all the replys on the last sheath and kid I only wish to be half as good as you some day. kellyw

I forgot to mention I dont have any knives for carving so I used a paring knife from my wifes kitchen lol I only have 8 stamps couple smooth shaders a the basket weave and a couple edge stamps . kellyw

You never know what you can do till you try, not a bad job at all considering the lack of a swivel knife. :)

You can find a serviceable swivel knife under twenty bucks new, and occasionally the Bay will have a good used one at a great price. You dont need a fancy 50.00 knife to start with. Theres a ton to tutorials on the You Tube that are invaluable.

As far as making the carving pop, you can use either antique stain, or Hi Lighter. Both will fill the cut lines (and the mistakes as well much to my chagrin) and make them stand out.

Boy this looks great for a first attempt Kelly ! ESPECIALLY without a swivel knife like Leatherman mentioned.

Get a swivel knife and keep at it !

-Josh

Back