My first knife.

akey

I am getting close to finishing my first knife. I have started many blades and junked them somewhere in the grinding process. This is the first one that has advanced past the grinding stage. It has flaws but I like it. I have decided to try and finish each one I start unless I just completely ruin it while grinding. This was my first experience "working" wood. I have built many things but never shaped wood before. I'm going to clean up the blade some more and put an edge on it tonight. I am going to give it to my step dad since he has given me access to his shop full of every tool known to man. The handles are from some spalted walnut scales I picked up on ebay for a dollar.

I would like to take a second and thank the KD community as a whole for being so friendly and such a great resource.

Aaron Key

Attachments

• myknife.jpg
    myknife.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 87
Aaron,
Looks to be a nice serviceable knife.
You did fine and should be proud! Make a check list of the faults you can find on this knife and address each one on the next. Then repeat!

It's not a straight line for most of us but you will start to see the improvements yourself and ask your step father to see this puppy in a year and see the improvements you have made.

I think you did a fantastic job. By looking at the way you finished that blade , there's no doubt in my mind that you will clean those scales up just fine.. Great work!

Back