My First Knife Show

Randy Lucius

My first "knife show" really wasn't a knife show. I was invited to set up a table at a local sporting goods store during their anniversary sale. Two other makers were there along with a couple of other vendors. I offered free knife sharpening during the sale and sharpened between 8-10 knives. They left my table razor sharp. Had a raffle for one of my knives and tickets were only $1 each. I had originally priced the knife for $225 and sold $228 worth of tickets. Came out $3 ahead. Although I didn't sell as many knives as I wanted to it was a great day. Made a good friend of the owner of the store and his staff. Lot of good guys on his crew. The owner has agreed to stock some of my knives without a commission on sales. That alone was worth the trip over. Talked with a good many potential customers and received a lot of positive comments on my knives. All and all a very good day. (No my tablecloth isn't ironed. Didn't have time. Bought it on the way to the show.)
t0001.jpg

t0002.jpg

t0003.jpg

t0004.jpg

t0006.jpg

sign.jpg

Some of the knives that were on my table.
st0009e.jpg

st0007e.jpg

st0008e.jpg

Things that I felt were important to do.
Greeted everyone who approached my table while standing. Never talked to anyone while sitting down. Told them to feel free to pick up anything they liked. "Make yourself at home."

If they had children with them, address the children directly. "How are you today young man? How are you today young lady?" Ask the parents if it was ok for them to have a blow-pop (sucker). Had a bowl on the table.

It's not rocket science. Just be friendly and polite. Don't be a pushy salesman. ( I hate that). Most people like to talk and ask questions. Give them an answer without being a smart@%#.

Things I will do next time: Be able to take debit/credit cards. I have that set up now to do in person or on my website. I could only take cash or PayPal on Saturday.
I'll also have this tablecloth.
table_e.jpg

That was a nice set up Randy, and a nice gig...your officially "in"now ;)
hey, that raffle knife, is the sheath holstex in carbon fiber? I just used some if it is last weekend and noticed it heats differantly from kydex. I had a hard time dialing it in but my toaster oven is about 25 yrs old. I'm buying a new convection one this week and hoping for a little better processing.
Congratulations on your first show your table looked very presentable.

That was a nice set up Randy, and a nice gig...your officially "in"now ;)
hey, that raffle knife, is the sheath holstex in carbon fiber? I just used some if it is last weekend and noticed it heats differantly from kydex. I had a hard time dialing it in but my toaster oven is about 25 yrs old. I'm buying a new convection one this week and hoping for a little better processing.
Congratulations on your first show your table looked very presentable.
It’s a carbon fiber pattern kydex not actual carbon fiber. I made one for this knife also out of the same stuff.
E8E26A26-2129-4923-98C2-179B88A1FFE7.jpeg
I heat my kydex with a T-shirt press. Seems to heat more evenly. There was a kydex holster maker there this weekend and I picked up some good tips from him.

Last edited:
It’s a carbon fiber pattern kydex not actual carbon fiber. I made one for this knife also out of the same stuff.
View attachment 72500
I heat my kydex with a T-shirt press. Seems to heat more evenly. There was a kydex holster maker there this weekend and I picked up some good tips from him.
No, I knew it wasn't carbon fiber but I looked for kydex and couldn't find it with that carbon fiber pattern, I found some other stuff called Hostex that has it and got some but it's kind of a differant animal. it doesn't heat like kydek,it seems like it heats at a lower temperature for a shorter time. but like I said that oven I currently have is messed up so I screwed up some of it. I got a new oven on the way.

Very cool!! I have an invitation to display and sell from a sporting goods store and a Cigar bar. Unfortunately with all this Corona stuff going on everything in MA is at a stand still!

Well, the new Kydex oven's not on the way anymore. was having it shipped to store at Kohl's, they shut their doors today and cancelled my order. that move left a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, the new Kydex oven's not on the way anymore. was having it shipped to store at Kohl's, they shut their doors today and cancelled my order. that move left a bad taste in my mouth.
That would get my goat. Have you thought about a T-shirt press? I really like mine for heating kydex. You can find them cheap on Craigslist.

Back