my first attempt

Here is my first attempt at a kit, used this to get my feet wet and will make a few more as the learning process, then dive in to my own designs and ground blanks as I learn. Please give your input and criticism. IMG_6687[1].jpgIMG_6698[1].jpgIMG_6696[1].jpgIMG_6675[1].jpg

It looks like you did fine on the handle mounting & shaping.
If your end desire is to make knives? My suggestion is to got for it and get started! I started making knives using Hand files. It's a great way to get your feet wet and see if Knife Making is really for you without buying a bunch of expensive equipment.

Cheers!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com.

Thanks Laurence, I have 3 orders for these so I am going to finish them up first then probably make my own for the next series, the handles are not glued or pinned in the pic, I used machine screws to hold it in place when i shaped it so that I could remove them before coating the blank in cerakote. I am thinking i would like hallow pins to facilitate lashings. Looking for info on pinning scales with hallow pins, can i use lanyard pin for that?? I like the chamfered look of countersunk pins as well, searching the forums for the answers! This place is awesome!!

Yes,
You can use Lanyard tube pins but I would suggest that you also use Loveless Style bolts at the ends and Lanyard tubing in the middle. If anyone lashes the knife handle on to a shaft, You want the scales to be very secure.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks Laurence, I have 3 orders for these so I am going to finish them up first then probably make my own for the next series, the handles are not glued or pinned in the pic, I used machine screws to hold it in place when i shaped it so that I could remove them before coating the blank in cerakote. I am thinking i would like hallow pins to facilitate lashings. Looking for info on pinning scales with hallow pins, can i use lanyard pin for that?? I like the chamfered look of countersunk pins as well, searching the forums for the answers! This place is awesome!!

Using regular thong tubing works fine. You don't peen thong tubing, you simply epoxy them in the hole through the handle slabs, I've made one like that and the best part of having an extra thong hole at the front of the blade is great for retention, using the front tubing and figuring out how many twist in the lanyard is right for you, the grip is unbelievable. This is more critical for big choppers where swinging hard makes it easy to lose control of the blade. Once you try it, you'll love it! Countersinking the tubing is more than aesthetics. It also protects the para-cord or whatever you use.

Great looking blades. BTW, but I agree with Laurence, pick up some 1084, because it is the easiest to HT, very forgiving and relatively inexpensive. Get in touch with Aldo Bruno (Google: The New Jersey Steel Baron) plus he has a sub forum here on KD. He has great prices, customer service and selection, you won't regret it, if you just wanted a couple 4 foot sticks or whatever amount you would like. In fact Aldo will be at Batsons Bladesmithing symposium this weekend. It is held at Tannehill State Park outside of Birmingham. If you'd like more info go to Alabama Forge Council they have all the info on there. Hope this answers some of your questions, Rex

BTW, what part of Florida do you live in, I'm in central Alabama above Prattville, if you ever up this way let me know and we can get together and make something. Rex

Personally, I prefer to have bolt-on scales. there's nothing wrong with getting some SS hardware and tapping the tang.

IMHO it looks like you are on the road to making yourself or anyone a great knife. Like it alot. Mind if I ask where you got the kit?

Guys thanks a lot for the info, that blank came from knifekits.com same place I buy Kydex for my holsters and sheaths. I am in Oklahoma right now Rex but I will be in The Florida Panhandle around Pensacola anfter Mid-May. i would gladly take you up on the invite next time I am through Central Alabama!

Justin,
I'm 6 miles off of I-65, my door is always open to anyone that would like to stop by! If you can work it to stay a day or so, we'll see how hard you can get bit by the forging bug! And be able to send you home with a knife ready to be finished. Seriously once you hammer on some hot steel, the line between what is possible versus what isn't possible gets a lot thinner. I realized I would have to forge my blades because all of the designs I've drawn up weren't possible through stock removal. All ya got to do, is give me a little notice so I can be prepared, Looking forward to your visit, good times are a comin', Rex

Really nice. I like your logo "Just in case". I never thought of using "Veteran made in the USA" Has a nice ring too it! Also Identify's the maker as a Vet ! Looks like you have been biten by the Knife making bug:35:

Back