My Buyer Bailed

Discussion in 'Custom Knife Forum' started by wmhammond, Feb 3, 2017.

1. wmhammond

wmhammond Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons I don't take orders. A friend got me to take this order from a friend of his. 1/2 up front and 1/2 on completion. Well it's completed and he hasn't got the money. It was one of those, "Well, I'll take it if I have to but go ahead and sell it if you can. And, oh, by the way, if you do sell it can I have half my down payment back?" Don't think so, pardner, and, in the mean time, you better be coming up with the money. Anyway, it's not a bad knife so if you want it PM me. Here are the specs:

Blade material: CPM- 154 Stainless Steel Guard: None
    Blade Treatment: None Butt Plate: African Black Wood
    Blade Finish:Hand Sanded 400 grit Matt Finish Handle Length: 4 5/8”

Blade Hardness: 59 ( Rockwell “C” hardness Scale) Handle Spacer:None
    OAL: 10” Handle Liner: African Black Wood
    Blade Length: 5 1/4” Handle Material: Wych Elm Burl
    Blade Width at Plunge Line: 1 5/8” Handle Pins:Stainless Steel
    Blade thickness at Plunge Line: 5/32" Handle Finish: Danish Oil, Buffed and Waxed

Tang Treatment:Fill Tang Sheath: Hand Stitched Vegetable tanned cow hide
    IMG_3342.jpg IMG_3343.jpg IMG_3345.jpg IMG_3346.jpg IMG_3347.jpg

Thanks,

Wallace

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. LobosStyle Blades

LobosStyle Blades Well-Known Member

That's really nice work. I've been burned in the same manner and have gotten to the point that all "orders" are paid in full up front and there's a $100 minimum fee for cancelled orders. I tell all people that rule and if they don't like it they can walk. Pieces generally sell no matter what, but when you design something for a certain person it's quite insulting when they flake.

Good luck on the sell. If I had the money, I'd love to buy it just to see another great maker's work in person.

3. wmhammond

Thanks for the kind words. As often happens in a world created by God, this cloud had a silver lining. Sold it for more than the original price so I paid back by putting the guys down payment in the plate this Sunday. Told the guy so he could feel good about himself but I don't think he did. :).

Wallace

4. LobosStyle Blades

LobosStyle Blades Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like you made out and the original down will go to a great purpose. Perhaps that good deed from you will be returned 10 fold. I have to say that it lifted my heart to hear what you did with it and that you are a much better man than I. I'd have used it to buy more steel :lol:

5. smithy

smithy Well-Known Member

That's a really nice knife. PM me with the balance due if you want to sell it for that amt. Paypal ready...

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

That's the understatement of the year! That's a GREAT looking knife. I do like the lines, and if you don't mind I'd like to save a photo and perhaps make a very similar knife with those lines.

Ken H>

7. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Wallace....Classic story!!!

Glad it worked out well.

8. wmhammond

Be my guest. Thank Gahagan for the blade shape and me for the handle design but I'm sure somebody has made it before. Nothing new on this earth. Thanks,

Wallace

9. wmhammond

Sorry Smithy, it sold. See below. Thanks,

Wallace

10. dan van

dan van Well-Known Member

Wallace, God works in mysterious ways, That is a great job on that knife. Dan

11. soundmind

soundmind Active Member

That is beautiful. I don't see how he could let that go by him. The sheath is beautiful too. Glad to hear you got a good price for your trouble.

A guy backed out of one I made for him, but it wasn't close to being that clean. He may have been justified in backing out but I was only asking cost of materials.

Luke