My Awesome new grinder

elasmonut

Hey guys, It's been a long time in the build but it's finally up and running. Got the first chance yesterday to take it for a test drive and coming a little multitool is a vast improvement, it has better tracking, is WAY more powerful,doesn't bog down, and I can change the SPEED! It is a four pulley system with a 2hp motor, and you can see the attachments.
I'd also like to thank the guys at usaknifemaker for the great service and parts, and all the guys here who went out of their way to answer my sometimes dumb questions and helped make this build a reality.

grinderpics001.jpg

grinderpics002.jpggrinderpics005.jpg

grinderpics003.jpg

grinderpics005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Excellent job of stepping up and designing in some enhancements. We will need to get those pictures posted in the worlds best thread about grinders.

I was looking at the last pic and I am thinking WTH, :les: (did he crawl into the rafters for this shot), and then I realized I am looking at it on its side. I need more coffee, to late last night at nephew Graduation party!

Good looking grinder, it is amazing what you can do with one of these.:35: Even grind a few knives! LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I have only had time away from work to grind four or five blades and do some sharpening but I love it. With the two hp motor it is almost impossible to bog down the drive belt slips first if you really lean in. This is the first grinder where I've been able to alter the speed and what a difference that makes to the level of control. My grinds have improved immediately, quicker and more accurate, and it's quieter so the neighbors like it too.This has really cut down on the time it takes to profile and hand finish, and will let me make more knives faster. I haven't had much experience using commercially made machines, but not to blow my own trumpet , but I haven't found a single area where this machine has let me down. I also like the fact that being modular I can easily change or modify any part of it. The only thing I would have preferred to do was use a variable speed direct drive motor, but i couldn't afford it, well I spent the money on a bandsaw. So again thanks for the help and advice guys.

Back