My 300# Fisher has a 150# baby brother now!

fluidsteel

A kid on another forum who I've helped out with some free Inswool and other stuff returned the favor today!! He e-mailed me with a CL posting today.I have been looking for a smaller/second Fisher to go with my 300# Fisher for a year now.
I am off for a week after surgery for a Ventral Hernia repair that got fixed Wednesday. I have an app on my iPhone, but the guys post didn't show on my searches this morning or yesterday.... Thanks to my friend I had a shot at it!!! :9::biggrin:

I called the guy and he said he had a 150# Fisher for sale still and a smaller Armitage/Mousehole. He said there was a guy coming at 1:00 to buy the Fisher....
I got there at 12:30.... :what!::biggrin::cool: (sorry man).... $300 and it was mine. Not a steal, but considering it's rebound and my love for Fishers it was cheap. :p It was made in 1907.

The trick was getting it in my truck without lifting it since the Dr said NO LIFTING!!! and the guy was 80 so he wasn't much help. Managed to get it on my handtruck and wheel it up my ramp into my truck!!

Picture034.jpg

Here it is with my 1913 300# Fisher....

I-Phone134.jpg

Look, they're buddies!

Picture037.jpg

I picked up a 107# 1-1/2" plate for the base for my 300# Fisher last week and was going round and round about the height to mount it... :les: The Fisher had so much better rebound than my 119# Kohlswa that I was going to mount the 300# 35" high for bladsmithing but that wouldn't let me use it for striking and using top tools.

I bought a 61# 1-1/2"x13"x13" plate for the stand for the Kohlswa last week too that I can now use for the 150# Fisher.

It's amazing. Both Fishers have around 95% rebound. Drop a ball bearing from 15" and all you have to do is slightly open your fingers to catch it on the rebound. While it's a good anvil, the Kohlswa only has around 80-85% rebound....:52:

Going to weld up a couple new stands next week when I'm cleared for lifting by the Dr.

I'll mount the 300# around 32" and the 150# closer to 35-1/2". :biggrin::biggrin:

Picture055.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Made my stand today. 35" High to the face. Tri-pod style with a 1-1/2"x13"x13" top plate. It's 35-1/4" to the face.

I have a 107# 1-1/2" thick plate for the stand for my 300# Fisher that I'll weld up next week. I'll mount my 300# anvil at 30" high for striking and using top tools.

Picture055.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Made my stand today. 35" High to the face. Tri-pod style with a 1-1/2"x13"x13" top plate. It's 35-1/4" to the face.

I have a 107# 1-1/2" thick plate for the stand for my 300# Fisher that I'll weld up next week. I'll mount my 300# anvil at 30" high for striking and using top tools.

Good looking anvil! I have got to ask what is the white material you got under the anvil mounted on the stand? Looks almost like granulated roofing!

How do you like the metal stand like that?

I have my Hay Budden on a block made from 4x4's bolted together. The fellar I bought the anvil from gave it too me. It works in that I can run a dolly under it too move it fairly easy but it adds a lot of weight to it! It looks like the three legged stand you got under that one would be a lot lighter anyway!

Ive been looking for a decent anvil for a while and good ones are hard to find. I guess I need to make a few phone calls. I dont want or need a real big one the 150 you just bought looks like the perfect anvil. With my neck injury Ill never be hammering but its just something a maker needs . Nice find. kellyw

Good looking anvil! I have got to ask what is the white material you got under the anvil mounted on the stand? Looks almost like granulated roofing!

How do you like the metal stand like that?

I have my Hay Budden on a block made from 4x4's bolted together. The fellar I bought the anvil from gave it too me. It works in that I can run a dolly under it too move it fairly easy but it adds a lot of weight to it! It looks like the three legged stand you got under that one would be a lot lighter anyway!

It's a piece of 1/2" thick roofing material. 120#? I pulled the anvil last night after spending an hour cutting the pattern from the base of the anvil out. I figured it would get covered with scale in time but I didn't want to breath the smoke if I dropped a blade on it... The idea was to isolate vibration from the stand to keep the stand from ringing. The stand I based mine on has the legs filled with sand and a few cups of oil poured in the legs to reduce the noise but since my Fisher is quiet I don't notice any noise from it.

I like the stand. Haven't forged anything since I'm just getting healed up from my hernia surgery. I made it that was so I can get close to the anvil. I can move it around pretty easy. Total weight is 240#. I can lean on it without it getting tippy. I have to really push to get it to rock.

Back