Moving some steel

One

Banned
Started with 5 inches of 3/4 inch 5160 round stock. Not quite sure exactly where I'm going with it yet, but I think it's talking to me... ;)

...never have tried a "stepped" integral like this before, but... We'll see?

DSCN0457.JPG

DSCN0466-001.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

... and here's what it said. :)

(close to actual size)

DSCN0468-001.JPG

It wants to be another 3/4 length "full tang" handle construction, pinned and wrapped. So,... the handle will actually be a bit longer and wider than the end of the tang.

Last edited:
Thanks Randy. :)

The sun poked it's head out, like a tortoise taking it's time,... been in the mid 70s here. Perfect forging weather, for now. HOT is just around the corner...

Thanks Randy. :)

The sun poked it's head out, like a tortoise taking it's time,... been in the mid 70s here. Perfect forging weather, for now. HOT is just around the corner...

Perfect forging weather? LOL. Our pals back in the most of the rest of the country are frozen solid with more snow on the way! LOL

I do have a tip for your guys. Put antifreeze in your grinder dunk buckets to keep em from freezing solid. Use the biodegradable kind so if it heats on the blades while grinding you won't get any noxious fumes. A 1/10 ratio works fine here. You might have to use a 10/1 back there with all of this cold weather!
Very Cool forging WIP by the way!:cool:

Warning, on the antifreeze. I don't know about fumes, but never use automotive anti freeze in any open container. Especially if any animals could have access to it. It tastes sweet to them and will crystalize in their kidneys ensuring a slow and painful death. Lost several favorite outdoor cats to this over the years. Also any spilled or drained AF in driveway or gutter should be washed away well. It only takes a very small amount to be lethal. Keep your furry buddies safe, they are family too.

I lost a great young German Shepard that way years ago- before I knew better. I had drained a radiator in the garage with the car backed in- quite a bit missed the drain pan- and then ran under the overhead door into a puddle outside, where Baron got into it. I knew it was poisonous, but didn't realize just how poisonous. I used to taste it to tell how strong it was. The vet tried everything, and the dog was in intensive care for a day or two, but he didn't make it. I felt like a bum. Wow, sorry about highjacking the thread!

Here's the knife.

OAL- 11 inches
Steel- Precision hand forged 5160
Handle- Ebonized maple with woven cotton cord wrapping
End piece- Steel

DSCN0539.JPG

DSCN0501-001.JPG

DSCN0523-002.JPG

DSCN0559.JPG

Back