Motor for new grinder!

ARKnives

Alright where to begin...so I work in a sewing and vacuum store, so I have access to tons of 12 amp vacuum cleaner motors(new or used) and I get them new from Riccar and Miele at wholesale. Sewing machine motors are small and out ouf the question, but vacuum motors can pull a little bit of power seeing as 12 amp is the most you can get in a vacuum motor. My question, will the strongest vacuum motor work for a new grinder? polar bear forge or nwg will be my choice. I am not opposed to rebuilding a motor myself or buying a new motor im just cheap :biggrin:, I also have a 1/3 hp motor for a Packard grinder but I don't think I can rig or rebuild that to put out more hp.

Thanks for the help in advance guys, im not great with motor math :3: so I always appreciate help from people who are.

On a side note from one knife maker to another Miele and Riccar are great vacuum cleaner, check em out.

What kind of hp and rpm can you expect from the 12 amp motor?

I am all for saving a few bucks, I did that myself when I got my kmg, I bought my motor elsewhere and got the 1hp. It worked pretty well for anything up to 3/32, 1/8 and above thickness would bog it down or trip my breaker. Upgraded to a 2hp, and can lean into it with 1/4 and 5/16 thick stock no problems.

a 2hp leeson single phase 1725rpm motor is only gonna run ya $250 or so. Definitely wish I would have gotten it first time around would have actually saved $200

I believe you should start looking for a 1 1/2 - 2 HP 3450 rpm motor. I think it would be a good plan to consider making it a variable speed by the use of pulleys. Those vacuum motors may have speed but I don't believe any torque. Frank

If you have the money to be picky, Get a 1 1/2-2 HP TEFC with a speed of 1750-2500 rpm. Leeson or Balbor.

If money is tight, you can use any motor of 1hp or larger enclosed or not and use step pulleys to make it adjustable.
Look on Craig's list etc, and you can find a usable used motor.
I did this to get my www.cootebeltgrinder.com up and running and have an old post WWII 2hp open motor with oil ports that I still use on a few different machines for about 10 years.
I cll the motor Frankenstein! I paid $60.00 for it.

dont think you will be happy with vacuum cleaner motor. there are too many places to list where you can find surplus new motors for sale. I would start on Ebay. You should be able to get a 1 or 1.5 hp 3 phase motor and static phase convertor(1 phase 230 in; 3 phase 230 out) for less than $350. you need to shop. go to industrial supply and industrial electric sites. they have national reputations and arent going to sell you something DOA or Junk. JMHO.
just a tired old sailor counting the months(7 to go till retirement)

Back