Motor City Mike's KITH WIP

Looking good, Mike. I'm really enjoying following your WIP. Quick question for you. I've never heard of flattening the detent ball. Would you mind sharing your reasoning for doing this? Is it for better clearance, or is there something that I'm missing?

Looking good, Mike. I'm really enjoying following your WIP. Quick question for you. I've never heard of flattening the detent ball. Would you mind sharing your reasoning for doing this? Is it for better clearance, or is there something that I'm missing?

/\ /\ /\ yes to this. My question also. Great WIP. cool to see others methods.

It makes for a smoother ride across the blade. It distributes the load from a single point onto a larger area.

Also it helps with the opening because the detent hole in the blade doesn't need to travel the entire radius of the detent ball before it releases. Once it reaches the flat, it can release. Good for a flipper.

Not sure if that makes sense.

All of this knowledge comes from makers that came before me. Guys like Tom Mayo and Brian Fellhoelter have been generous enough to share their experience and knowledge and I do the things that they say have worked for them.

Now I break out 'ol sparky to carbidize the lock face.

Couldn't get any pictures of the actual process because I need both hands but you can see the result in the second pic.

c2gt54Ql.jpg

qeOZqckl.jpg

I figured that was the reason for the flat on the detent ball. Are you using a steel ball? Because I noticed that by the time I'm all done building and tweaking/fine tuning a folder, there's a pretty good flat spot worn on a steel ball anyway. So it would happen on its own in pretty short order anyway.

I figured that was the reason for the flat on the detent ball. Are you using a steel ball? Because I noticed that by the time I'm all done building and tweaking/fine tuning a folder, there's a pretty good flat spot worn on a steel ball anyway. So it would happen on its own in pretty short order anyway.

No. Ceramic ball. It isn't easy getting a flat spot but like with anything else, persistence usually pays off.

Got it about finished. Just need to sharpen it

Specs:
3 7/16" Blade
8 3/8" OAL
S35vn Steel with satin flats
Titanium handle
Floating Zirconium back spacer
Hand sculpted Zirconium pocket clip with hidden screws
Caged ceramic bearings
Ceramic detent ball
Titanium screws

You'll also notice that I have screws on both sides of the handle (6 total). I don't like the look of screw ends when you tap one side of the handle. Looks unfinished to me.

zbdezWMl.jpg

Last edited:
I made the handles satin but I'm not sure if I'll leave them like that. They tend to be scratch magnets with that finish but I like the look.

I may end up bead blasting them.

Back