Most Recent Work

Ben Sellers

This is one of four knives I am working on right now. All are very similar- 1095 with hamons and walnut. Two are Drop point hunters, two are bird and trouts. This is one of the bird and trouts. This is the first knife that designed on my own. It has a 3 inch blade and 5 inch handle of walnut with bronze pins. It feels good in my hand-light and agile. I worked hard on the blade geometry and I hope it will be a slicer. There is no edge yet as I am still poking around on it. One pin is a little high but I can only try harder on that next time.

86108847-0E1F-4237-9DD0-EDA4C32CB765.jpeg

A nice looking blade with a little bit of an aesthetics problem in the handle. This would be a good one to work the heck out of and maybe break the blade to check out the grain.

Doug

Thanks. I've been working hard on hamon's which is teaching me about blade finishing. It seems that nothing brings out sanding flaws like an acid etch. From here on out, my pins will be located using a micrometer. I am trying to decide if I want to grind off the scales and relocate the pin or to just move on and do better next time.

I would not grind the handle to move the pin. Chalk that one up to a learning experience! Love the overall shape and look of the knife!! Keep up the good work!!

Keep it and use it...it's a nice knife. I've discovered (for me...you mileage may vary...) I'm better off remaking from scratch than doing major surgery.....jmo

Don't need a Mic to locate the pins...a pencil a scale are fine. Aesthetically if you center the pins in whatever spot of the profile you're at it will be pleasing to the eye. I like it when guys do this with three pins cause you notice the "curve" of the pin layout. two pins always suggest a straight like...which is fine but gotta hit the 'look'....

all this being said....rules are meant to be broken at times in any design project....up to the Artiste'

I love the blade to handle ratio of that knife.

Last edited:
Aesthetically if you center the pins in whatever spot of the profile you're at it will be pleasing to the eye. I like it when guys do this with three pins cause you notice the "curve" of the pin layout. two pins always suggest a straight like...which is fine but gotta hit the 'look'....

I love the blade to handle ratio of that knife.

I always centre the front and the rear pins and put the middle one in a straight line between the two on a three pin handle.

Your hamon looks nice, the overall look is good, and the proportions look good (aside from the pin location) I'd use it and see how it preforms. That information is just as important as how it looks.

Back