Mosaic pins....love/hate?

I'll give my take on mosaic pins, as I have pretty extensive experience with them. Something many of you may not know about me: before I started making my own knives, I spent a couple years re-handling/changing/upgrading handles for a pretty major production knife company that did an enormous amount of business every year and had a HUGE secondary market trade. It may be safe to say that I've changed more scales and replaced more pins than any average 30 makers combined. At one time, I had close to 100 knives AT ONCE in my shop awaiting new handles.

That said, I've used a LOT of mosaic pins. I think the perspectives of this thread are pretty much spot on. In my experiences, mosaic pins most definitely do sell buyers on a knife IN A CERTAIN PRICE POINT. The flip side to that is, above a certain price point, I echo what Ed said in the fact that there is a group of collectors that view them as 'cheap' 'gaudy' and/or 'gimmicky'. That doesn't make them necessarily right, but it IS a real viewpoint.

Me personally, I don't get much call for them on most of my knives.

I still love how a lot of them look but there is one inherent problem with (many/most of) them that makes them a no go for me and I haven't seen it mentioned here. More times than I can count I've seen knives a few months or more after they were made and the mosaic pins were standing really proud of the handle materials and in many cases, in a really rough and irregular way that made the pins feel super rough and even sharp to the touch.

With all the little tiny parts and different shapes and different materials, the pins expand and contract at different rates with the surrounding handle material, the outer wall of the pin and even the internal components themselves, resulting in a really rough and irregular feel. Additionally, with the more complex patterns especially, there just isn't very much space for epoxy to grab and hold all the pieces. When cheap epoxy is used besides, which is often the case, it too, shrinks and cracks and even falls out allowing the interior pieces to rattle around in the casing or even fall out completely. I've seen that happen more than a few times.

I've changed quite a few handles for guys that wanted their knife 'upgraded' to mosaic pins originally, then had those same knives back to get rid of the mosaic pins because of the above issues.

Have any of you guys seen your old knives that had mosaics months or more after they were completed? Just curious if any of you have noticed these things.

It doesn't mean anyone should stop using them, and they will still sell a LOT of knives, at least initially. And many people won't care about the issues even if they do happen. Personally, they're not something I want to mess with anymore.

One last thing....if you are going to use mosaic pins, you should really consider 'clocking' or 'timing' them so that they are all oriented the same way in the handle. In my opinion, it looks pretty disruptive visually when I see mosaic pins randomly put in a handle with no thought or regard to how the pins are oriented.

I'll give my take on mosaic pins, as I have pretty extensive experience with them. Something many of you may not know about me: before I started making my own knives, I spent a couple years re-handling/changing/upgrading handles for a pretty major production knife company that did an enormous amount of business every year and had a HUGE secondary market trade. It may be safe to say that I've changed more scales and replaced more pins than any average 30 makers combined. At one time, I had close to 100 knives AT ONCE in my shop awaiting new handles.

That said, I've used a LOT of mosaic pins. I think the perspectives of this thread are pretty much spot on. In my experiences, mosaic pins most definitely do sell buyers on a knife IN A CERTAIN PRICE POINT. The flip side to that is, above a certain price point, I echo what Ed said in the fact that there is a group of collectors that view them as 'cheap' 'gaudy' and/or 'gimmicky'. That doesn't make them necessarily right, but it IS a real viewpoint.

Me personally, I don't get much call for them on most of my knives.

I still love how a lot of them look but there is one inherent problem with (many/most of) them that makes them a no go for me and I haven't seen it mentioned here. More times than I can count I've seen knives a few months or more after they were made and the mosaic pins were standing really proud of the handle materials and in many cases, in a really rough and irregular way that made the pins feel super rough and even sharp to the touch.

With all the little tiny parts and different shapes and different materials, the pins expand and contract at different rates with the surrounding handle material, the outer wall of the pin and even the internal components themselves, resulting in a really rough and irregular feel. Additionally, with the more complex patterns especially, there just isn't very much space for epoxy to grab and hold all the pieces. When cheap epoxy is used besides, which is often the case, it too, shrinks and cracks and even falls out allowing the interior pieces to rattle around in the casing or even fall out completely. I've seen that happen more than a few times.

I've changed quite a few handles for guys that wanted their knife 'upgraded' to mosaic pins originally, then had those same knives back to get rid of the mosaic pins because of the above issues.

Have any of you guys seen your old knives that had mosaics months or more after they were completed? Just curious if any of you have noticed these things.

It doesn't mean anyone should stop using them, and they will still sell a LOT of knives, at least initially. And many people won't care about the issues even if they do happen. Personally, they're not something I want to mess with anymore.

One last thing....if you are going to use mosaic pins, you should really consider 'clocking' or 'timing' them so that they are all oriented the same way in the handle. In my opinion, it looks pretty disruptive visually when I see mosaic pins randomly put in a handle with no thought or regard to how the pins are oriented.

PURE GOLD!!

As a machinist I am VERY leery of unlike materials being glued to each other. This was one of the reasons that I worked hard to interlock my handles through the frame of the knife. This is also why I do not use liners, bolsters,etc. I feel that the more variables you can remove that require any form of adhesive puts you ahead. That doesn't mean I won't eventually play with those nice aesthetic add ons...when I feel more confident in pulling them off with longevity in mind.

A few months back I bought supplys to make my own mosaic pins....not because I wanted to but because I suspected that to properly abrade each little internal tube inside and out to get the best adhesion of epoxy and to ultrasonically clean after abrasion of said tube would make the cost of those into the hundreds by the time they were done....I sez to myself..."Self you get too worried over every little thing...they're probably just fine...."

Now I read what Mr Doyle just wrote and as I say more times than I care to..." I HATE being right...."

What I had come up with was a simple brass "H" for Hauser of course...That I could easily skotchbrite...and clean...and epoxy...with the corners of the H actually pressing into the brass a tad...so 4 latch points plus expoxy done in vacuum. (pretty sure they're all doin' that...)

Possibly what Ed was saying about collectors not liking them has as much to do with John Doyles experience of ever loosening internals as it does with "gaudiness"? I personally think some (not all) of the mosaics are quite lovely. But loose mosaics breaks one of the main design tenets doesn't it?

Last edited:
Ted, I used to make my own too. And I did feel that I took the care to make a superior product to MOST of what was out there at the time. I had the same thoughts as you and took the same precautions. I still had some issues but with care in creating patterns that had more spaces between the components, I got a better bond and had minimal issues with my own pins coming apart. The expansion/contraction rates of the different types and sizes of materials was still an issue.

I've probably got a bunch of components left around here somewhere that I might let go if you were interested in trying some out.

Ted, I used to make my own too. And I did feel that I took the care to make a superior product to MOST of what was out there at the time. I had the same thoughts as you and took the same precautions. I still had some issues but with care in creating patterns that had more spaces between the components, I got a better bond and had minimal issues with my own pins coming apart. The expansion/contraction rates of the different types and sizes of materials was still an issue.

I've probably got a bunch of components left around here somewhere that I might let go if you were interested in trying some out.
Thanks J Doyle...as of this morning I am thinking solid pins.Lol. I trust your data as the amount of handles you were working with exceeds what most of us would ever do....giving you greater insight.

It seems most of your knives are stacked with a nut on the tang? Did you perhaps favor this style of build after seeing the failure rate of mosaics? To me it seems that something that is purely/mostly mechanical is advantageous over epoxied scales? That being said...I love a full tang where I can see the steel...

I am currently using Corian material for handles which offers a lot of color/pattern variations. perhaps ditching the mosaics won't be as big a deal as I fear.

I move pretty slow on design change(functionality not looks) which is why three years in I still have not sold a knife. Lol.

It's much easier to repair a gift than it is to repair something you got paid for. I haven't given anything out that was not called a "prototype".

2018 is when I plan to start selling knives...and here late in the game I'm ditching an idea. I have only been using mosaic pins for about 6 mos. and haven't given any away. I don't see issues on the three knives that I made with them...but they don't get used and are in stable temps always. So, not much of a test there.

I had shown my brother the mosaic pin stock this week...he's not a knife maker but a good fabricator and very analytical. His first comment? Pretty. his second? Man, there isn't much room for epoxy in there...

and immediately I thought...yep...it's not just me.

The battle in this craft for functional over beautiful is always an ongoing battle....finding the path to walk? Not always that easy...is it?

Good question, John. (Does anyone have a knife with mosaic pins months/years after making it) Yes, I do. I have numerous personal knives I have made. Personally, I have not experienced any pins separating or becoming proud. I am my own product development team / Quality Control tester, LOL. I have numerous kitchen knives that I've made using mosaic pins, stabilized handles, non-stabilized handles, etc. I also have various knives in the shop that I use nearly every day.

I just haven't had pin-related issues. I have not had any customers contact me with any, either. Granted, we're only talking 100 or so knives at this point since I'm not a high-volume producer. But there may only be 5 knives total that I've made that didn't get mosaic pins.

Good question, John. (Does anyone have a knife with mosaic pins months/years after making it) Yes, I do. I have numerous personal knives I have made. Personally, I have not experienced any pins separating or becoming proud. I am my own product development team / Quality Control tester, LOL. I have numerous kitchen knives that I've made using mosaic pins, stabilized handles, non-stabilized handles, etc. I also have various knives in the shop that I use nearly every day.

I just haven't had pin-related issues. I have not had any customers contact me with any, either. Granted, we're only talking 100 or so knives at this point since I'm not a high-volume producer. But there may only be 5 knives total that I've made that didn't get mosaic pins.
That's good to know....at this point I may just make up some pins and let them sit outside for a few months and maybe set one close to the furnace fan where it is cycling often. Variables are probably epoxy, epoxy dye, which materials are external/internal.

John Doyle...did you pull a vacuum on the epoxy when curing?

Back