Mosaic Can bulged

Three Sisters Forge

Forum Owner-Moderator
Mosaic pattern of 1095 & 4800NC, Thick can of 1/4", double ends, welded tight, put paper in ends to consume oxygen. Got a large bubble at each end, bulged right out. No bubbles in the mosaic, just at the ends.

What did I miss ?

Jim

Ummm, I'm by no means an expert but everyone of the cans that Keith Johnson and I did bulged at the ends, I thought it was normal.

The times I had seen it done they drilled a hole in the end of the can and dipped it in kerosene, no paper. the kerosene burned out all the oxygen.

Don't forget it's kerosene and dip a hot billet in it though.
Rusty

bulged ends are perfectly normal. I and most of the guys I know, weld a star pattern of beads accross the ends. this helps the can to bulge in a controlled manner.

It's not gas that's bulging the end, it's the mass of the end cap steel having to go somewhere.

perfectly normal
carry on

Bulge in the can

That makes sense. I welded the bottom (1/4") on, set in 1/2". I checked with water for seal. Placed a piece of paper covered sheet of heat treat foil, then loaded can. Same on top. This was my first attempt at mosaic. The bulge at one end displaced my handle.

How do you accommodate for this ?

Thank You,

Jim

Back