More Money Than Sense.

It's the name. For the same reason that someone paid millions for a shredded painting by Banksy. At least this is a knife that presumably could be used. Whereas the Banksy painting is junk.

Some people simply have too much money

If the buyer overpaid, it was only by $1000, because there were clearly at least two people that thought it had near that value. In the past I've commented on knives that were overpriced, but that was based on workmanship, not style. Keep in mind there are millions of people that think paying $100 for a single knife is ridiculous. We see $100 as dirt cheap. It's all perspective, and I'm happy that a maker that clearly put time and effort into a knife was rewarded for his work.

If the buyer overpaid, it was only by $1000, because there were clearly at least two people that thought it had near that value. In the past I've commented on knives that were overpriced, but that was based on workmanship, not style. Keep in mind there are millions of people that think paying $100 for a single knife is ridiculous. We see $100 as dirt cheap. It's all perspective, and I'm happy that a maker that clearly put time and effort into a knife was rewarded for his work.
Thank you.

While I don't care for his style his work is FLAWLESS.....and that first pic does not do justice to his ability. I honestly could not see what he had done there....

Attachments

• IMG_7213-e1563897454798.jpg
    IMG_7213-e1563897454798.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Jurgen-Steinau-1.jpg
    Jurgen-Steinau-1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 16
I am very happy for Jurgen. He has offered a unique style for years which has influenced the art knife community.

The really rich don't give a shit how much it costs as long as they get what they want. It's back in the account the next day what with the day's gains in the market. Bully for them!

I am very happy for Jurgen. He has offered a unique style for years which has influenced the art knife community.

The really rich don't give a shit how much it costs as long as they get what they want. It's back in the account the next day what with the day's gains in the market. Bully for them!
I think they do care about cost...but they can play little games with art or cars or knives etc...that drive up collect-ability/price.... ;)

I think they do care about cost...but they can play little games with art or cars or knives etc...that drive up collect-ability/price.... ;)

That may well be so, especially for those who had to pay any attention to their money. Most of my experience with the ultra-wealthy was back in college. You were either poor and on scholarship or rich and paying for the scholarships, thank you! :) They didn't give one hoot about what anything cost. But they were young. Maybe daddy taught them some appreciation for their investments at a later age.

The best example I could tell of would be an Arabic student whose daddy was an oil sheik or prince. Drove around in a BIG, new Mercedes all the time, wore all bespoke clothes, you never paid for a damned thing around him and if he knew you liked something it might end up outside your dorm in the parking lot. Money just didn't matter. Nice guy, too.
Went to fly back home one holiday and got stuck overnight in NY. Had to stay in a plain HOTEL! Imagine that. Daddy bought a penthouse apartment in NYC and a servant to keep it so he could stay there during flight waits. The college was here in Illinois.
Those are the ones don't seem to care what it costs because it's a magic purse. Not even arrogant about it at all, just a different pradigm than my blue collar life.
Thanks, though, rich folks, for the scholarship money!!

I'm glad there're $163000 knives out there. They make great pics in mags. I did get to hold a bona fide $50k folder once, though, to look at the engraving. That was cool. Lotsa gold inlay. Set it back down real careful like. :)

It's the name. For the same reason that someone paid millions for a shredded painting by Banksy. At least this is a knife that presumably could be used. Whereas the Banksy painting is junk.

Some people simply have too much money
Nobody paid millions for a shredded painting. The painting shredded itself after the gavel had fallen at auction. Ironically, or perhaps not, the shredded painting and its very clever auto-shredder frame may be worth MORE now. As for the knife in question, many would say that it is just a tarted up weapon that, by design, might not even be good for stabbing people. ;)

Nobody paid millions for a shredded painting. The painting shredded itself after the gavel had fallen at auction. Ironically, or perhaps not, the shredded painting and its very clever auto-shredder frame may be worth MORE now. As for the knife in question, many would say that it is just a tarted up weapon that, by design, might not even be good for stabbing people. ;)

I think it was only half shredded, and I would agree that the value of the artwork is, if anything, greater because the meaning of the piece has to do with the commoditization of art, not with a girl and a balloon. As for the knife in the OP, I don't know what the point is there. :D

I was referring to it's recent auction again after it was shredded. I guess I don't understand the Banksy thing

I was referring to it's recent auction again after it was shredded. I guess I don't understand the Banksy thing
I "understand" Banksy better than say Mark Rothko. If I want to spend millions of a canvas that is just multicolored lines (IF you are lucky) I would go with say more symmetrical multicolored lines like say a work by Frank Stella. ;)

I "understand" Banksy better than say Mark Rothko. If I want to spend millions of a canvas that is just multicolored lines (IF you are lucky) I would go with say more symmetrical multicolored lines like say a work by Frank Stella. ;)

I like Mark Rothko, and I consider Banksy a lightweight. Banksy's good for millennials, who are also lightweights.

But, let's not forget, I'm just some guy shooting his mouth off on the Internet. ;)

More power to the maker and the buyer. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Anybody that thinks there was any practical reason to make or buy this knife is missing the point completely. It's for arts sake, practicality has nothing to do with it. Any commodity is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

I make user knives and I make "Collector" knives. I finished one a while back and a fellow said to me, "Yeah but, no one would ever use this knife" My answer to him was, "Why would I want to just make 'user' knives? There are lots of reasonably priced user knives on the market. In a practical sense it would be silly for me to just make knives for that market, and try to make a living at it. The collector market opens up a whole new world of creativity, material options and maybe, a guy can even make a (full time) living at it."

Back