Moose bone, micarta, O1

Duncan Tipton

Hello knifedogs,

I have completed another knife. I figured I'd show it to you and see what you think. I really value your thoughts.

I made the knife for my wife. It was a bit of an exercise in handle making for someone other than me. The handle is black canvas micarta with bone from last fall's moose inlayed into it. The pins and thong tube are yellow brass. The blade is flat ground, and hand rubbed to a 600 grit. This was my first go at flat gringing, I find it much easier hollow grinding.

I learned to give my pin holes a bit more clearance when using bone. As you can see in the photo a crack has developed in the bone on the right scale. If you have any tips for using bone, ivory and such I'd love to hear them. I love these materials but their instability make them tough to use.

Thanks for you thoughts, Duncan

Attachments

• right web.jpg
    right web.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 86
  • leftweb.jpg
    leftweb.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 81
  • left scale web.jpg
    left scale web.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 73
  • right ricasso.jpg
    right ricasso.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 60
  • top web.jpg
    top web.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 45
I like the hand rubbed finish. The moose antler is a nice touch, very nice!

I actually like the combination of the two materials. Seal the crack with CA (superglue) and chalk this one up to experience. An experienced maker once told me. With bone and some handle materials such as horn materials, it's best to oversize the hole in the material slightly and to use a reamer to countersink slightly. Peening and knowing when to stop comes from experience! I have not fully gained that experience :eek: because I still crack one every now and then. If I listen to my gut I do pretty good but every once in a while I will examine the peen and think it need just another touch or two and that is usually when I crack one! :)

Back