Monkey pod wood Scales learning curve.

wall e

So being the newb that I am I decided to use a new type of hardwood that was part of a package buy, Monkey Pod.
Has the same colorings as walnut with some dark random stripes through it. The weight is less than walnut but tougher is what I have read.
If any seasoned wise ones have any suggestions other than true oil to finish with Im all ears.
I tried to go with what was asked for a knife just a cutting tool but saw the depth in the wood so am now hand sanding to try and make it more dominant.
Here is what was asked smooth and started with a coat of true oil.

726544e0b5a4e22dc2d058355eb79184.jpg

It darkened the wood and gave it some depth but after curing for 12 hrs (after my nap and work) I didn't like it. So back to rawish wood it goes to sand up to either 600 or 1k

ff91cb7583298746ffc3bc38627666fb.jpg

Well here is 3 coats of true oil on the scales.
The self made felt liner darkened up drasticly since it started as a lilac/lavender color to the dark purple as requested. Win by accident. Lol
2dc58460e0c3f6ef00e0759b24fc278e.jpg

that looks great to my eye, Walt. Are you hitting it with 0000 steel wool between coats? That helps get rid of the buildup on the tang and gives it a glassy smooth finish.

I was smooting out the bubbles and buildup between coats with 0000 steel wool as suggested last year by you and a couple others.

I think the next one will be finished the same way I did the coolibah burl since this wood is pretty porus.

Thank you.
I may have an extra block if you wanna trade for something you have surplus of besides oak,bay laurel/pepperwood/here we call it myrtle wood. I have shoe boxes filled with dry scale sized raw pieces. Hehe

Back