Mokume billets

M

matt trout

I receive few PM questions on some recent mokume bolsters from the custom forum and thought a photo here might help. I make all my damascus. mokume, mosaic pins and vaccum stabilize my own handle material. I use sheet copper, nickle silver and occassionally brass in the mokume. Usually 40-50 layers and weld it like damascus. Here is a photo of a recent ladder pattern billet 14 inches long and about 2.5 wide.

Any and all comments welcome.

Matt

mokume7edit.JPG

Thanks, Lots of prep time on this stuff but forges quickly.

Matt

Thanks,

Most come out a bit smaller. I have started forging them to about a 2 X 1.5 X 6 inch state and storing them until needed. Then I can draw to different dimensions depending wheter I am making bolsters, lanyard beads or goofy stuff. To refold one that is to thin is difficult.

Matt

Very nice! I have been wanting to learn how to do that. How long would you say it takes to make a billet like that or similar in size? Obviously, you knowing what you are doing makes for a shorter time than it would be for say me, but I am curious.

I sand all of the surfaces clean, then cut strips, make an open top box, stack and weld. 40-50 layers, I would guess 4-5 hours prep time depending on the condition of the material.Took me a while to get a feel for the amount of soak time in the propane forge

Matt

Back