Mizzou refractory in the Northwest??

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Hi Everyone!

Never used it before, but after reading a few threads here and there, I think that soaking 1" kawool in Mizzou MIGHT make for a good forge lining.....I'll be needing to reline my welding forge soon, but after looking around for it, and calling my usual refractory suppliers with no luck, I'm seeking help. Anybody know who carries Mizzou refractory....in the Northwest??

Thanks in advance for any help!! AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

mizzou refractory in n.w.

Hi Ed,I dont know if they carry Mizzou, But Seattle Pottery Supply carries alot of refractories and thier service is top notch. Kiln Shelfs, Controllers, you name it they got it! ironbasher

Bob,
Many Thanks for that link! I sent them a request for a shipping quote!

Ironbasher, I generally purchase all of my anhydrous borax through Seattle Pottery, and have always had good service from them. I've not checked on their site in a while, but the last time I looked, they didn't carry Mizzou......time to go check again.

Many Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Hi Ed,I dont know if they carry Mizzou, But Seattle Pottery Supply carries alot of refractories and thier service is top notch. Kiln Shelfs, Controllers, you name it they got it! ironbasher

Those kiln shelves make very nice forge floors. They're fairly expensive, but if you have a local pottry supplier they probably have some broken ones at a discount. Just cut to fit. Don't use them in your welding forge. They just melt away under Borax.

Last edited:
Jeff,
Last time I was down there, about a month ago, they still were not carrying any pourable refactory. I've been on them for about ten years to carry some, but I must be the only one. They do carry carry soft brick, kiln cement, ITC 100, and some other usefull stuff like analog pyrometers.

Talk with them, they may not have your particular brand name but ill bet they have similar product and he said he will ship. http://ljheimbrock.com/index.htm

They were the single best experience i have had in refractory and just a few minutes with there engineer i had learned more then days of reading on the web. He is a knife collector as well...hint..hint. After an hour in there plant I was left thinking of my next forge, the body will be brought strait to them and ill let them do the refractory cast. They gave me these bricks to put in the bottom of the forge that are beyond anything I have ever seen, they are used in glass factories and borax hasn't touched them, they said they could cast the whole forge in it. They do large scale work most of the time, blast furnaces, smelting facilities, glass, boilers, and all sorts of industrial refrac jobs. I got a roll of wool, 5 of these super bricks , a case of insulated fire bricks, and a bucket of ganister for a bill.

DUH ON MY PART! We have an EJ Bartell's in Billings. I had asked them once before, and they said they didn't carry it at the Billings store...but I just got off the phone with them and they do have it!! If we don't get another snow storm this weekend I might just have to make a road trip to Billings....otherwise I'll just suck it up and pay the "big bucks" to have it shipped.

A 55lb bag is $43.62, and when I asked about shipping they estimated approx. $30!:52: But still, I don't think I could drive to Billing and back for less.:ridesafe:

Back