Mill suggestions

Lerch

I’m currently using a dremel to cut thumb notches and I’m wanting to upgrade. Is there a mill/tabletop mill (that doesn’t break the bank) that I could use for thumb notch cutting and to replace my standard drill ? Never used anything other than a drill press so I’m lost.

thanks
Steve

I have one of these and it works well. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-7-x-27-1-HP-Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0704

It might seem like overkill for thumb notches, but if you purchase any of the "mini" mills, I'm not even sure it would do thumb notches. I've owned 3 of the mini mills, and can tell you that all were a waste of money for me. The mill in the link is the smallest one I would recommend anyone purchase.... it'll do what you specifically mentioned, plus give you room to grow.

I have one of these and it works well. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-7-x-27-1-HP-Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0704

It might seem like overkill for thumb notches, but if you purchase any of the "mini" mills, I'm not even sure it would do thumb notches. I've owned 3 of the mini mills, and can tell you that all were a waste of money for me. The mill in the link is the smallest one I would recommend anyone purchase.... it'll do what you specifically mentioned, plus give you room to grow.
Thank ya sir, I haven’t been on Knifedogs much in the last few years but in the past you helped me several times here. I appreciate the advice and hope everything is going good for ya

You could do it with a file for 100 years without coming close to the cost of a mill.

I have a mill and still do any thumb grips with a file. It only takes a few minutes.....probably less time than setting up the tooling on the mill.

That’s a good mill. Ed is half correct about the mini mill. They are only good for very simple stuff in stick trim.

I have a mini mill, but I put quite a bit of work into it. Because A, I like modifying things & B, I’m really cheap!

It cuts pretty damn good now at half the price of that G704. But like I said..., It took quite a bit of work. enjoy & know how to do that stuff. I do wish it had a bigger table. But not needed for 90% of what I do.

Now if I could afford, I’d get something like that Grizzly or bigger.

Back