MikeL and KITH WIP

I'm still stuck with an 8" wheel :(

Price is a big stumbling block to move to a larger wheel in my opinion. The arched platens ( not sure what the real name is) that provide even greater radius might be in my future. Haven’t done my homework yet on price or how well they work. But seems like they should be cheaper. Something worth looking in to.

For some reason I have always been drawn to the low layer patterns more so than the higher. Very nice!

Second KITH getting carbon fiber handles. Shaping is in progress.

What a mess carbon makes! I’ve read many safety hazards of carbon dust and I’ve read the advice many have given to include Ed Caffery’s call out on respirators in general. One tip I learned from years in the service and donning and doffing (crazy military terminology for ‘putting on’ and ‘taking off’) chem gear— the importance of a mask leak check. I use a respirator that I can cover/seal the filters with my hands. With the filters sealed with my hands, I suck in and hope the mask collapses around my face. If it doesn’t, you don’t have a good seal. Also, a kinda gross double check, after a break from handle shaping and doffing (;)) my mask I can stick a Kleenex or paper towel in my nose and see if black carbon dust comes out. I know, kinda weird. I don’t do this as regular practice except with really fine dust. I just like to know. Just a safety tip Incase you’re interested.

30FCFDC9-8696-41F8-9865-94A77CA904BB.jpeg

I decided to put a finger groove into the handle. First time doing it. So, I was thinking of how I can be sure the angle of the groove is the same on both sides. I pulled out a handy tool I haven’t used in a while and glad I found it. Drum roll... the bubble jig. What a versatile tool and it proved to be useful in this application as well.

B8D3B485-5B75-47D2-ACDE-86AE557A050C.png
A8D65548-C51A-4318-B5F0-B0D8782407A6.jpeg

Looks great Mike. I use carbon fiber once in a while and just treat it like it carries some sort of disease.
The twelve inch wheel I just put on my Bader III cost about $130 total, including a tooling arm.
I'll post pics this weekend of it with where I got everything. I think some folks might be interested in it.

Thanks!

Looks great Mike. I use carbon fiber once in a while and just treat it like it carries some sort of disease.
The twelve inch wheel I just put on my Bader III cost about $130 total, including a tooling arm.
I'll post pics this weekend of it with where I got everything. I think some folks might be interested in it.
Yeah, carbon fiber is nice but you definitely have to be careful. I suppose most shop work comes with some hazards that requires proper PPE. That price seems pretty fair on a wheel and an arm.

Those look awesome Mike, I aspire to make knives like that some day!

Thank you. If I can do it so can anyone. Patience and a willingness to learn from mistakes as opposed to quitting will go a long ways. Buy plenty of good knife making tools and you will feel like you have to get better and can’t quit. :) I’m halfway sarcastic but then again I was invested in tools and felt like I had to learn to use them better. Still learning plenty. Thanks again.

Last edited:
The KITH knives themselves are finished. I’m getting a few sheaths from Bro. Once I have those selected, I’ll call the KITH project complete. Pictured are two sheaths that I think are pretty good matches. I think I’m going to meet the KITH deadline.

I should say, the original plan was to allow a vote between the two knives but I’m going to have to put the carbon fiber one in the hat. The other is probably taken.

A28B3EC2-2986-4B66-9A89-64C67B9BA5B4.jpeg755417C3-2320-42D6-A761-D69737E0333F.jpeg59DC299A-026D-4364-9C26-F6B6574EE3A8.jpeg8E19BC36-C677-4D4D-8AC7-DD8D9705DDEA.jpeg

Both are beautiful knives. I think anyone participating would be honored to receive the one that you chose. I liked it best anyway LOL. Fantastic work.

Both are beautiful knives. I think anyone participating would be honored to receive the one that you chose. I liked it best anyway LOL. Fantastic work.

Thanks Brandant. The crosscut carbon has a cool look. There is some discoloration in the grey liner that I couldn’t clean off. Still trying to make the perfect knife. One day maybe.

Back