Micarta Pinstock... make it or buy it?

BRad704

I have seen some knives that I really really like, that used micarta pins. Is that something you guys are making? or buying?

I don't even know how I would go about making it if I wanted to... Perhaps cutting a 1/4" wide strip off of a 1/4" thick piece, then spinning it in the drill press until its round. :les:

Can anyone give me some insight on this?

-Brad-

Hi Stan,
Is there Micarta rod linen based or paper based? I had some that snapped really easy and did not use because of that.
Clint

How long was the piece when it snapped? I would assume that a piece an 1" or so long (or less) would be fairly hard to snap, expecially when it's embedded in a knife handle.

Brad, you can also check your local hobby shop. I've bought CF rod that I've used for pin stock in 1/16" - 1/4" and it is fairly inexpensive. I think the most I've paid was around $5-6 for a 3' rod of 1/4".

The piece of rod was 1/8" in diameter and a few inches long and I snapped it to check the strength, It broke like cheap plastic. I guess it would be OK for inside mosaic pins. I am sure the linen would be stronger for shear strength.
Clint
How long was the piece when it snapped? I would assume that a piece an 1" or so long (or less) would be fairly hard to snap, expecially when it's embedded in a knife handle.

Brad, you can also check your local hobby shop. I've bought CF rod that I've used for pin stock in 1/16" - 1/4" and it is fairly inexpensive. I think the most I've paid was around $5-6 for a 3' rod of 1/4".
Hobby store like "Michaels"? or like Hobby Town (RC cars and planes)?

I have both within about 10 minutes of my house, so I'll check those out this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm glad I decided to finally ask the question! :)

I would check Hobby Town. The shop I picked mine up from was geared toward RC car, planes, and train enthusiasts. I believe some guys may use it for plane and glider construction due to its weight/strength ratio. I've taken a three foot rod of 1/8" stock and bent it to the point where the ends touched and it popped back true with no damage. The hobby shop I was getting it from also offered it in tube form but the largest stok they could get was 1/4".

Back